CORSAIR F4U-4; 1/48, Revell (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Brian for that enigmatic and formidable compliment.
Thanks Geo, I like "The Ensign Eliminator" and I will abbreviate TEE, to refer.
I'm glad to see you John, are you back? Now, what is always missing are days to rest from the holidays, or is not it?
A greeting with the respect always for the legendary Wojtek.

Edited: The "T", will be "training" ... TEE

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:
Good work Luis, like that method of making lights! :thumbright:
Thanks Huge and Kirby, tips are shared or learned from colleagues and it is sure that someone else has already come up with this idea for lights; I gladly share it and there will be those who try to do so.

Regards. :thumbup:

I share the way I learned to make Navigation Lights. It is not so complicated and the practice makes it simpler and the results are satisfactory. :idea:
If you get the chance to do something different for the NL of your model, try it, it will not take you long.

Once you have chosen the transparent branch length in the required size, you have to file one side until the flat part is slightly larger than the space previously made with files in the wing ...

144.jpg

With a mini drill hole, make a hole about 1mm deep. It will simulate the globe of light. I helped myself with an acupuncture needle like a paintbrush to paint the inside of that little hole.
Without waiting, I added Tamiya Cement to the wing angle and placed the clear piece.

146.jpg
147.jpg
145.1.jpg
145.jpg

(With the color you need you can do the globe and even leave it with no paint when the globe is white light)

With scissors or pliers cut off the surplus of the piece (being careful not to make the cut very close to the wing, because it can crack and affect the "glass" space of the NL.)
With a jeweler's files and a lot of attention, I begin to thin the piece to the shape of the wing, then with sandpaper I leave the piece conformed to the shape that should be.

148.jpg

... and then with fine sandpaper I finish by polishing the glass (I really like the clarity of the clear part and the result)

149.jpg

The details lost with the sandpaper are traced again (in this case I used Tamiya tape as a guide to make them)

150.jpg

...the result...

151.jpg
152.jpg

I hope it has been to your liking.:thumbleft:

Saludos y excelente inicio de semana para todos.

Luis Carlos :thumbup:

Last edited:
Nice work Luis, I like the way you've made the nav lights, very nice technique :thumbright:

Fun fact for future reference though, the starboard nav light globe on Corsairs (as well as many other US aircraft) was a blue colour, not green. It appeared green when illuminated presumably due to a yellow luminescence from globes of that time or some other effect.

Bloody hell, this is getting dangerously close to rivet counting...

nav light 1.jpg

nav light 2.JPG

Last edited:
Me da gusto que les pueda ser de utilidad, amigos y colegas.
Thanks for your kind words.

Very good information and pictures, Kirby. The instructions of the kit made me hesitate to indicate green the starboard nav light globe; But other photographs and plans of the F4U-4, indicated it green. Checking the formidable photos that you share, in the text in the bottom right, indicates that the color was green, but when it is off, it looks blue. Maybe that's the confusion.
I'm just starting to learn and I think I've also seen some other military planes (maybe from other nationalities), with that blue navigation light. Very valuable information, thank you for sharing it, my friend.
Gracias por el interés y apoyo :salute:

Saludos y excelente semana :thumbup:

These are the images on which I based myself to draw the lines of rivets.
3f
p2.jpg
p1.jpg

This last photo I made mirror to have the right side ...

p1der.jpg

This is the sequence in the riveting process ...

153.jpg
154.jpg
155.jpg
160.jpg

... in a moment the more ... :thumbup:

... the rear spoiler and the wings ...

156.jpg
157.jpg
158.jpg
159.jpg

... the sides of the fuselage ...

162.jpg

161.jpg

I did not do all the riveting and until I have the fuselage attached, I will do the corresponding ones up and down (where the pieces will be joined).

I think I'm going to give myself to the task of making those 7 SCAR rockets that I need ...

We remain in touch and best regards. :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back