Cowboys and Aliens

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Awhile back I saw Jim Belushi's remake of Bogart's classic, Sahara.
Didn't suck as much as I had feared. Actually pretty good.
Still prefer the original, though...

Did it suck as much as.....

"Flight of the Phoenix"
"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"The War of the Worlds"

????

I will never forgive Steven Spielberg or Tom Cruise for effing up that last one. With their talent they couldn't make something better?????

Dig it!
No, you should really see this remake, There are a few finer points that are, um,... polliticaly correct, but, overall, a fine effort.
Jim managed to keep to the script overall, and they had an honest to goodness M3 Lee to portray "Lulubelle". So overall, I would say that this was a remake that was done with the same kind of care and love for the original that I would have done, had I the means to do so.
It was a remake that really didn't need to be done, But he did a fine job, anyways.
I guess that if I was in his position, Hell, I would have done the same. What a great time, playing Bogart, holding off a battalion of Germans in the desert,.....
With a tank called Lulubelle,....

I have to say that the original "Sahara" was the best...anything Bogart cannot be topped. I think my favorite part in the movie was when Bogart had a change of heart in regards to leaving the Italian behind.

As far as Batman is concerned, I liked Micheal Keaton in Batman and Batman returns...the rest (even with Val Kilmer) left alot to be desired. It seems as the more they made, the worse it got...

By the way, in Flash Gordon (the 1980 version, not the orginal with Buster Crabbe, 1936) there was a scene where Emperor Ming catches his daughter (Princess Aura) and backhands her while yelling "Lying Bitch!". From what I've seen, this scene is no longer in the movie.

War of the Worlds; why doesn't someone make a version that's true to the book? The story was set in 1904 England; the creatures were from Mars and arrived by shooting themselves in cylinders to Earth. They could also be killed using artillery and didn't have fancy shields and stuff.

One of the best interpretations of the story; a large part of the narrative is lifted straight from H.G.Wells' book.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9s2XnRKlJs

This radio broadcast in 1938 had listeners believing the Earth was being invaded by Martians.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzC3Fg_rRJM

A radio program I listen to sometimes called RadioLab did an hour long program on the Orson Wells radio play of H.G. Wells "War of the Worlds". Facinating. Did you know the same thing was pulled in Quinto, Ecuador and enraged listeners burned down the radio station and killed people? Check it out.

War of the Worlds - Radiolab

I agree with nuuumannn, they should make a version faithful to the book. Are you listening Kenneth Braghna and BBC America?

well, I havent read all the thread, but one of my favourite movies was the flight of the phoenix....the original, not the remake. i saw the remake, and thought it a poor copy.

Pearl harbour, what can i say....rubbish. Put it up against Tora Tora Tora and you have a good idea of whats happened in Hollywood over the last 50 years

I'm surprised that Hollywood didn't try to show that they saved the day, on that fateful morning back in '41, as much as they did when they won Battle of Britain in '40, thank f*ck for Hollywood, where would the world have been today, if it wasn't for them!

Having their way, WWI and WWII would have been nothing more than something cheesy, lovely dovey, a' la Pearl Harbor and whatnot....

Having said that, does todays stars have the same qualities, to make a flick a hit, like the old guard did, before CGI or what it's called, back when it was up to plot, acting etc., etc?

How about them there remakes of Ocean's Eleven, Italian Job, never bothered my *rse to watch them, did I miss something or...?
How do you compare the two From Here to Eternity, '53 movie and the '79 tv series, probably not the best comparisons, but it's not the first time when a movie has become something for the smaller screen...just curious.

Now there were a good number of Hollywood hits that put reality in the moviegoer's face and even recently, with ones like Saving Private Ryan and Flags of Our Fathers that show it can still be done.

Saddly, they seem to be further inbetween but Hollywood could most certainly put down a good movie back in the day, like Casablanca, Sahara, the Great Escape and so-on.

I though Ocean's Eleven was good, but you're right, Dave, the remake of the italian Job was sh*te. Saving Private Ryan is simply incomparable.

One thing about Pearl Harbor that most people overlook because of how awful it was, is that it is the director's homage to some of the greatest aviation war films made. The whole idea of a menage a trois between two mates who, one of them gets the girl, dies at war and the other gets the girl and his mate suddenly comes back was previously used in Hell's Angels and I think Dawn Patrol. There's elements of all the Greats there, Thirty seconds over Tokyo, Battle of Britain, Tora Tora Tora being the most obvious ones. It was supposed to be an unpretentiously B-Grade film, but it's a shame that it's such a mish mash that the final product is spoiled and credibility is lost. Although seeing the B-25s being flown from the carrier deck and watching the non-CGI footage of the real Mitsubishi Zeroes, rather than T-6 mock ups is impressive - about the only things worth watching the film to see.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back