Crimea River's Weekend Pics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great shots Andy. I've only been to Grande Prairie so I'm trying to talk the missus into going to Alberta next year. Me to the Western Canadian Regional and her(gulp)$$$$$$hopping. I think the six or seventh dollar sign may have got her attention.

Geo

Yep Andy, I'm well and truly piste off !
Maybe I could try one of those sit on, trike-like things on skis, but it wouldn't be the same as skiing back about 8 miles through the French Alps, on one ski, with the other, and it's broken binding, over one shoulder!!

On the now almost weekly 40 minute drive from my place down to the Nanton museum, I pass a picturesque scene of what is becoming a rarer sight here in Alberta: an original prairie grain elevator. I've made it my mission to always take my SLR and 300mm zoom lens and to be prepared for a good pic that might happen to present itself. So here I was on Tuesday evening with a gorgeous sunset unfolding before me but, unfortunately, I was still 15 minutes up the road. The whole sky was lit up orange and I was equipped but alas, by the time I got to my planned spot, the beautiful orange clouds had faded to blue and just a few spots of orange were left. I nonetheless snapped these quickies and remain committed to get some better ones in the future. These were taken with a 18-55mm zoom.

This scene is obviously looking west but my dream shot will be a dawn picture with the mountains and elevator softly lit. I'll need to get up early for that one though!

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Geo. Yeah, I took lots more but I didn't want to bore you guys. I too prefer offset shots but I liked the reflection on the centered one.

Fixed my post as well as I forgot I posted some pics in May.

Below is the first pic I took, taken with the 300mm. It's amazing how quickly the light changed over a 5 minute period.

IMG_0815.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, for me, the hardest shot. With film, you would wait, and wait and wait, and the perfect shot was a minute before. Now, blast away 500 times to keep one good one. The last one is the shot Andy.

Geo

Thanks Hugh. Today, dawned as a clear, crisp autumn day and it was a Friday that I had planned to take off to do a bunch of things around the house. After I ran a bunch of errands in the morning I threw my plans for the day out and decided to, instead, take a drive into the nearby mountain parks and take advantage of the spectacular weather, as the forecast for Sunday calls for mixed snow and rain. The below pictures represent the highlights of my morning.

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

Stunning countryside... I wish I could go there. THX for sharing Andy. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back