Cyber Hobby Bf 109 E-4 Gallands W. Nr. 5819

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In terms of techniques it looks nice, but to my mind the red-browish seems a little off somehow. The rudder pedals for example, a heavily used mount like Galland's would indeed have severe wear and tear on 'em, but I would, through heavy use, rather expect them to have bare metal showing through not an excess of dirt. Terry is right though, the overall look prolly will change a bit with the fuselage closed up.

Thanks for comments guys!
@ JJP: That's what I've tried to do actually. The "bare metal look" and than some dirt (seams too much) as it was autumn time when Galland had the 50 victories and I can quite good immagine that the airfield got pretty messy there.
So I've wiped the dirt a bit and added a bit more metal look. Will post pics later today.

Thanks again,
Miko

Come to think of it, perhaps the amount of paint applied is not really the problem (given de fall circumstances you mentioned), the color may be a tad off in it's own right, I think the Germans also used a red-brownish primer that seems rather similar to the color you used to to apply dirt. Perhaps the thing that makes it look off is the fact that it may seem a bit confusing as to what the use of this particular color depicts (either dirt or red-brownish primer showing through) For doing dirt I generally use a much browner type of color (burned umber or van dyke brown or something like that)

I have never seen a such rust on aluminium parts. It should be remembered that a such intensive weathering at cockpit compartments can be seen on derelicted planes only that were exposed to the weather conditions for a very long time relatively. Especially in a jungle, for example. So, applying the weathering to the area is always a walking on a thin ice.

Anyway , not bad at all, Mik0. Keep working.

Heavy corrosion or rusty parts seems unlikely in any case. If anything corroding parts seems like a very dangerous thing for an a/c under any circumstance to me, so I guess ground crews made sure parts prone to corrosion were well checked up and replaced/repaired timely. As far as dirtying up the office areas, often a thin mix of oil paints to add just a little color variation to certain areas is more often then not enough (at least for me) to depict dust/dirt

So guys, this is how I re-wash/brushed it.
What do you say?

Btw. have a nice weekend! I'am off to Budapest to celebrate the anniversary with my girlfriend (no modeling *sigh*) :)

Cheers,
Miko

Last edited:
Looks sweet! I thinks it's a good improvement over the red-brownish you used earlier. A lot more sutble and convincing effect to my mind, yet it show very cleary it's meant to be a much used a/c with the scratchy floor and such

I mostly do 1/72 and 1/48 kits, but seeing you work this 1/32 '109 makes me want to give a 1/32 scale 109 a try as well (Eduard 'Emil' or something)

Last edited:
Definitely prefer the second set of cockpit pics. Just a question on the yellow pipes on the bulkhead behind the pilot's seat. See ref below from 'The Messerschmitt Bf 109' by Lynn Ritger who identifies it as a presssurised oxygen line (blue).

Attachments

• Oxygen line.jpg
    Oxygen line.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 116
Thanks for comments guys!
Definitely prefer the second set of cockpit pics. Just a question on the yellow pipes on the bulkhead behind the pilot's seat. See ref below from 'The Messerschmitt Bf 109' by Lynn Ritger who identifies it as a presssurised oxygen line (blue).
Thats something I was not sure about Gerry. I saw some kits with blue and some with yellow.. I thought that yellow was used for hydraulics also? Well guess I'll need to repaint it than :) Thanks a lot for info!

Cheers,
Miko

Hmm, maybe Wayne, Crimea, Airframe? You guys have an idea please?
Huston we have a problem :)

Here my todays try to "scratchbuild"

And here one from Budapest.. Also a mashine, but a bit other kind :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back