Cyber Hobby Bf 109 E-4 Gallands W. Nr. 5819

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very nice work on the ammo boxes. I assume that these were part of the PE 'extras' you bought to enhance the kit? If so, I haven't seen that particular set before. On the engine serial No (sorry, Dirkpitt), you can see how much fun it is trying to interpret old photos. Both your and Wayne's observations are valid. I can see where there is a wider gap on the serial No in your third colour shot and I can also see where that phantom '7' could be part of the wiring rig....Drat, if only the photographer had stood a couple more feet to the right...

I'm going to throw in another thought that could be completely wrong and show up my complete lack of knowledge on engine No sequencing. Is it possible that the full serial No is N 557? I'm wondering if the 'N' signifies a nitrous oxide boosted engine? We know Galland's aircraft was converted to this at some point in late 1940. If Daimler-Benz re-started their serial sequence for the upgraded engines, that could explain the low No.

Wiser men than me need to comment on this. Wayne, I'm sure will have thoughts on this and when the photo he posted dates from, because if that predates the introduction of nitrous oxide, then that effectively blows my theory out of the water!

Now all I need to do is explain why there's a 'B' on that third engine photo.

Finally, I never tracked down a photo or sketch of the cigar lighter. It would have been fun to include it, though.

Well, you may be a relative neophyte at scale modelling, but you are certainly off to a good start. Keep up the nice work.

The ammo boxes indeed look very nice! Keep up the good work. PE parts like this always give me the creeps, so until now I never managed to go beyond PE seatbelts ;)

Last edited:
Hello Guys,

Thanks for the encouragement!
The ammo boxes are part of the Eduards exterior PE set LINK: LINK:[url=http://www.eduard.cz/products/card.php?id_product=7358&name=bf+109E&catalogue_nb=&type=&pgroup=&scale=5&product_month=&product_year=&page_start=20]Bf 109E-4 exterior[/URL]and I have to say I like the "metal work" very much.
For example when you fingers stay glued when using the instant glue. :)

As for the theory about the "N" Gerry... The engine upgrade was done together with the spinner closing and repainting as per your previous research I guess and that would mean, that the 557 is not the engine that was instaled in the time where Dolfo had 50 victories (my project), but might be the number you are looking for for your project (57 victrories) As for the "B" maybe "Benzin" ?

And for the lighter.. Maybe I'll add an nice scaledown of a zippo :)

Cheers,
Miko

Nice work so far. As for the engine number, first, I think that what appears to be a letter 'N' above the number, near the engine bearer mount, is part of the mounting plate on the engine block, where the bearer frame connects. What might be a numeral at the front of the engine number may also be a clip around the pipework, as it does not seem to conform to any of the numeral styles.
As the engine numbers were normally preceeded by a 'dash', with the same after the number, thus - ??? -, and as this is a relatively early production batch, I think the number actually is - 557 -.

Hello Airframes,

Interesting theory indeed. I guess I'll stick with it till somebody can prove it might be wrong.

good call there Terry..:)
Hello Wayne,
As I went thru your pics from Melbourne Model Expo (2011) the Gallands 5819 you posted has also an engine number, but it seems to be completely different from what we researched here. You think, that the guy who build it just gave it a number he likes?

Cheers,
Miko

I'm not expert on the 109 or Galland at that, but just a random thought on the engine. I believe the DB-601 engine had a comparatively short livespan in terms of running hours before it had to be serviced big time (not unlike many other high-performance engines of the day, either German or Allied) I wouldn't be surprised if Galland had the engine in his 109 replaced numerous times. Given the amount of victories he scored he must have been in combat a lot, 'burning up' engines in no-time, prolly not unlike pretty much the entire Luftwaffe during the BoB

Last edited:
Very good point Jelmer. I'd need to check the actual figures, but I believe the lifespan was around 100 hours, with major overhaul every 25 hours.

Now that really supprised me.:shock: I guess the ground crew was pretty busy than.
Well what I would like to is just find out one valid engine number from the bunch he did "burn down" for sure during the BoB.
Btw. day 3 progress:

I'am realy happy about, how the kit fits together so far.
The major parts are not glued yet

Cheers,
Miko

I'm sure the Luftwaffe had a system worked out to handle the engine maintenance routine, although the intense operations that went on during the BoB must have really put to the test even the best of organizations in that respect.

Hello Guys,

Here the 1st sidewall of the cockpit.

Cheers,
Miko

Users who are viewing this thread

Back