Dam(ned) Colditz

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
Really exited to go on a trip through Germany coming Friday. Together with my brother and a friend, I'll do a WW2 tour.
First drive to the Eder dam, of dambuster fame. It's one of those spots that I always want to go, ever since i read Paul Brickenhill's book. I have pictures of my parents and grandparents standing next to the Moehne and I want to be there too. I was tossed up between the Moehne and the Eder ( both are soemwhat on the route we want to take), but there is a museum at the Eder, which tipped the balance to the Eder. It's only a 3 hour drive from here, so I wonder why I never went before.
After that we'll go on to Dresden. This city is famous for the massive terror attacks by Allied bombers in the closing weeks of the war. It's supposed to be well restored. We'll stay for 3 nights there.
On Saturday we'll visit Schloss Colditz. This is another one of my dreams to go. My father had Reinholt Egger's book which facinated me as a child. I always though Colditz to be one of those more innocent boyish parts of the war (although 2 people died in that 'boyish' game during those years). I've read and watched all books, movies and tv-series I could find about the subject over the years, so would be great to see the real place and examine the French tunnel myself.
On Sunday we'll visit the Sachsischer Schweiz, great rock formations and of course Castle Koenigsburg, the place were many generals were held prison during WW2.
On monday we'll head home, maybe visiting the Moehne on the way while we're at it. But maybe we'll be tired of all that and drive straight home.

Needless to say I'm emptying the chip in my camera now, so I can make as many photo's as possible ;)

Hope for great weather, but first have to work for 3 days still :(

Yes, if you take some, post them Marcel, it would be interesting to see what the town looks like. Don't really know much about it as they both died in the early 1930s when my father was just a kid.

Unfortunately I don't and there is no one left alive that would possibly know. My brother my kids and me are the last of that line.

Take, and post many pictures! I envy you.
Dang it, you are doing the trip I have always wanted!
Mostly pictures of Colditz are what I am interested. I find it interesting that the book that got you interested in Colditz history was by Hauptman Eggers, while mine was a book by an escaper, Pat Reid.

Take, and post many pictures! I envy you.
Dang it, you are doing the trip I have always wanted!
Mostly pictures of Colditz are what I am interested. I find it interesting that the book that got you interested in Colditz history was by Hauptman Eggers, while mine was a book by an escaper, Pat Reid.
Whish you could join me.
Reid's book is probably the most famous one, it's the one they based the BBC series and the 1953 movie on. Egger's book is a worthy read though. The books together give a facinating insight in the story. Interesting to see that Reid quit often claims that escapes failed because of treachery while Eggers claims they were never succesful in recruiting a traitor amongst the prisoners...

Interesting, I always understood that the Polish officers marked one of their own as a traitor.
Admitibly, under duress.

Last edited:
Didn't go to the Eder because of the traffic and the time. But we did visit the Mohne dam. Here the three of us at the base of the dam. For the ones wondering, I'm the one on the right.
image.jpg

Great stuff Marcel !
I've often wondered if it's possible to have a 'pleasure flight' over the dams - that would be a really great experience.
Looking forward to more pics, especially of Colditz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back