December 7, 1941

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

.pdf file of the USS Airzona Casuality list.

Welch was assigned to the 47th Fighter Squadron, 18th Fighter Group flying P-40 Kittyhawks at Wheeler Field, near Pearl Harbor, Hawaii in 1941. A fellow fighter pilot of the 18th Group, Francis S. Gabreski (who would later go on to become the top American Ace in the European Theater in World War II) described him.

"He was a rich kid, heir to the grape juice family, and we couldn't figure out why he was there since he probably could have avoided military service altogether if he wanted to." Many Japanese military aviators would regret that he hadn't.

In the beginning of December, 1941, Welch and 2nd Lt. Kenneth Taylor had moved their P-40s away from the main airfield at Wheeler to a nearby auxiliary field at Haleiwa as part of a gunnery exercise. The vast majority of Army Air Force fighters at Wheeler were parked in neat rows on the main flightline; although war with Japan appeared imminent, it was decided that the possibility of sabotage from the ground presented a greater threat than a potential air attack, and it was easier to guard them while parked in neat rows than dispersed on the airfield perimeter. Thus when the Japanese carrier-based sneak attack against Pearl Harbor and Wheeler and Hickam Fields came on the morning of December 7, 1941, the majority of the Army Air Force fighter force was easily destroyed on the ground, several of them when the first P-40 pilot attempting to take off to fight was hit and killed on his takeoff roll and his fighter went crashing down the flightline at Wheeler.

That Sunday morning Welch and Taylor were just leaving an all-night party at Wheeler Field, Hawaii. As they stood outside an army barracks watching the tropical dawn grow brighter, neither had any idea of the momentous event which was about to change their - lives. Welch was saying that instead of going to sleep, he wanted to drive back to their own base at nearby Haleiwa Field for a nice Sunday morning swim.

Suddenly the Japanese swooped down on Wheeler Field, which was a center for fighter operations in Hawaii. Dive bombers seemed to appear out of nowhere. Violent explosions upended the parked planes, and buildings began to burn. Welch ran for a telephone and called Haleiwa as bullets sprayed around him.

"Get two P-40s ready!" he yelled. "It's not a gag--the Japs are here."

The drive up to Haleiwa was a wild one. Japanese Zeros strafed Welch and Taylor three times. When the two fliers careened onto their field nine minutes later, their fighter planes were already armed and the propellers were turning over. Without waiting for orders they took off.

As they climbed for altitude they ran into twelve Japanese Val dive bombers over the Marine air base at Ewa. Welch and Taylor began their attack immediately. on their first pass, machine guns blazing, each shot down a bomber. As Taylor zoomed up and over in his Tomahawk, he saw an enemy bomber heading out to sea. He gave his P-40 full throttle and roared after it. Again his aim was good and the Val broke up before his eyes. In the meantime Welch's plane had been hit and he dived into a protective cloud bank. The damage didn't seem too serious so he flew out again--only to find himself on the tail of another Val. With only one gun now working he nevertheless managed to send the bomber flaming into the sea.

Both pilots now vectored toward burning Wheeler Field for more ammunition and gas. Unfortunately the extra cartridge belts for the P-40s were in a hangar which was on fire. Two mechanics ran bravely into the dangerous inferno and returned with the ammunition.

The Japanese were just beginning a second strafing of the field as Welch and Taylor hauled their P-40s into the air again. They headed directly into the enemy planes, all guns firing. This time Ken Taylor was hit in the arm, and then a Val closed in behind him. Welch kicked his rudder and the Tomahawk whipped around and blasted the Val, though his own plane had been hit once more. Taylor had to land, but George Welch shot down still another bomber near Ewa before he returned.

Perhaps twenty American fighter planes managed to get into the air that morning--including five obsolete Republic P-35s. Most of them were shot down, but their bravery and initiative accounted for six victories in the one-sided aerial battle

Welch was nominated for the Medal of Honor for his actions on Pearl Harbor Day, and the Air Force Chief, General Henry H. Arnold was reportedly anxious to receive the nomination. Unfortunately for Welch, the intermediate chain of command, their pride evidently smarting from having been caught off guard and suffering the devastation they did, reasoned absurdly that Welch had taken off without proper authorization and could therefore not be awarded the Nation's highest military award; the award was downgraded to a Distinguished Service Cross.

Welch remained in the Pacific Theater of Operations and went on to score 12 more kills against Japanese aircraft (16 in total). After the war, he became the chief test pilot for North American Aviation, makers of a long line of successful fighters that began with the P-51 Mustang, generally recognized as the best fighter of any air force in World War II. Welch began testing the prototype P-86 (later redesignated F-86) Sabre, a new jet fighter which combined the aerodynamic advances of the propeller-driven Mustang with the lessons of swept-wing research the Germans had developed for their jet aircraft toward the end of the war.

Thank you!

The majority of the members of this forum were not even born when this attack took place. I was seven years old and
can remember all the hoop-la about it. My sister, Shirley, and I were sitting on our front steps when a neighbor came
to tell my mother. I remember the newspaper boys yelling "X-tra... read all about it"... on the corners. You gotta
remember, this was before TV had been invented, so we didn't get the news like you would today, with "on the spot
reporting".

Of course, I was too young to understand the significance of what had happened, but I will never forget it.

I salute those who were there .... :salute:

Charles

Charles, don´t you have those days newspapers?

The men who fought their were very brave.

There are still files in the naational archive that have not been released regarding the Intelligence failures that led to the successful Japanese attack. No, I am not advocating any conspiracy theories. But there were enormous breakdowns in the intelligence area before the attack

I just had a recall moment. I am 66 and am allowed! When I was in the US Navy, too many years ago, I used to read paperbacks in my down time, and one I read was "The Virgin Fleet". A novel about the crew of the U.S.S. Virginia pre Dec 7th thru the attack. Very interesting how laid back Hawaii was then, mountain villages and Hawaiian life. If you see it, and you like relatively light reading, light before the attack, but the courage of the sailor when forced into a situation and shows where "mateship" comes from, I suggest it. Thedre is another book, a diary written by a silor on the U.S.S. Montpelier, Pacific War Diary, by James J. Fahey. It was against regs to keep a diary, but senior officers convinced the family to publish it in 1963. Just a day to day account of the boredom, and the moments of terror. A good read tho. Bill

2 questions:
- how many victims were on Arizona?
- were some P-40s able to take off and fight with enemy during the attack?
Roman, believe it or not, more P-36s were able to get off the ground and do battle with the japanese than P-40s!

If you'd like to see a good list of aircraft on hand the morning of December 7th, check out: Aircraft at Pearl Harbor

It has a good list of US (and a few Allied) aircraft and where they were at, at the time as well as Imperial Japanese aircraft, both numbers and types.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back