Did you know.... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, don't all rush at once will ya...But i spous this story relates to a British hero, hence the lame response....Americans, don't you love em...

And where are all the "British" responses??? Maybe its cause no one really cares, not their nationality...
Americans, don't you love em...
U better love us, because if it werent for us Americans and all our goodies, youd be the smallest freakin province in Mother Russia... Pussies like u who talk all this Anti-American crap are the most ungrateful bastards next to the French.....

Okay, this is what I've found…..

The man in question is a Flight Sergeant J.A. Ward, RNZAF

Early on July 8, 1941, Squadron Leader Widdowson of No 75 (NZ) Squadron was returning from a raid on Munster when over the Ijsselmeer f Bf 110 fighter attacked. The rear gunner of Wellington L7818, hit in the foot, fired back and put the fighter out of control. Fire the broke out for the Wellington's starboard engine had been hit. It was fed fuel from a broken pipe and which threatened to engulf the entire wing. Sergeant J.A. Ward, the co-pilot, left his seat and fade aft. The crew made a hole amidships in the fuselage and tried to douse the fire, even emptying the coffee in their Thermos flask. They were warned to prepare to abandon the aircraft, at which point Sergeant Ward offered to try to smother the flames with an engine cover left by chance in the Wellington.

He was reluctant to wear his parachute for fear its bulk tore him from the aircraft, but accepted it and then was tied by a cord to he geodetic frame. He had decided to slide out on to the wing to put out the blaze. Ward squeezes through the astro hatch, then attached his parachute before making foot holes in the fabric for the perilous journey. By supreme effort he succeeded I smothering part of the wing fire. He was unsuccessful in putting out the blaze in the pipe line, but since most of the fabric was burnt away from it the future was brighter for them all. Satisfied that he had done his best, he made his was back into the aircraft.

For the crew anxiety would remain, brought to a climax later when petrol in the wing again briefly burned. Widdowson landed at Feltwell, and for his selfless courage Sergeant Ward received the highest British military award, the Victoria Cross.

Sgt. Ward was killed in action on a raid to Hamburg on 15/16 September 1941.

Interesting, Med. Even more interesting for me as I lived a stone's throw from Feltwell back in the mid eighties! Feltwell was a housing base for RAF Lakenheath. They still had the grass runways out there. I lived in the nearby village of Hockwold.

Okay, here's a little about the Squadron itself.

http://www.nzafmp.org/military/75sqnnzraf.htm

Here's where they were based as well...

Feltwell, Norfolk April 1940 to August 1942
Mildenhall, Suffolk August 1942 to November 1942
Newmarket, Suffolk November 1942 to June 1943
Mepal, Cambridgeshire June 1943 to July 1945
Spilsby, Lincolnshire July 1945 to October 1945

Disbanded - 15 October 1945

lesofprimus said:
And where are all the "British" responses??? Maybe its cause no one really cares, not their nationality...
Americans, don't you love em...
U better love us, because if it werent for us Americans and all our goodies, youd be the smallest freakin province in Mother Russia... Pussies like u who talk all this Anti-American crap are the most ungrateful bastards next to the French.....

Come on les give him a break, I can tell from his first posts hes a light hearted chap who doesnt mean no harm, dont go off on one cos he says something probably meant as a joke...

I would question your post but this isnt the time or the place...

Doesn't matter, it was inflammatory. There are people from all over who post here. But it is only us Americans who don't care? Maybe if he wasn't so smug about things we might let it slide.

And it's not funny when you claim that America saved Britain from Russia (I fail to see how, seeing as nothing America had could even get to the Soviet bombers) so you're not setting a very good example as moderator. If he abuses your country, ABUSE HIM not Britain. Ungrateful British? WHAT!?!

I don't think Les meant the British as a whole were ungrateful, he meant ungrateful people like HIM. I was very close to posting something very similar to what Les posted because I had had enough. A little quip now and again in jest is okay, but Mandrake puts his snide comments and anti-American statement in ALOT of his posts. Look, it's okay to be proud of your nation, but it's not okay to display that pride by putting down someone else's.

I'm good then. I, and a lot of British, are grateful of America helping out. As long as this doesn't turn into a Yank/Limey combat zone (although that would be mildly fun) then I'm fine. Just don't do it again... :rolleyes: Children these days... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have always been grateful to have Britain as an ally as well. I lived there for 3 years while stationed at Lakenheath. I don't want this to turn into a US/UK bash either. We are here to talk about WWII aircraft. Every country who made airplanes had good one and bad ones. I know everyone has their opinion and they are entitled to it. I just don't think contimued bashing of any country is a good thing, and sooner or later, someone is going to get ticked off. Les just happened to beat me to it. I have vented and am okay now.

:)

Yup - country bashing is a no-no. Memeber bashing is too, if you wanna do that then PM them and keep it outta the forums...

As long as this doesn't turn into a Yank/Limey combat zone (although that would be mildly fun)

Ah that cracked me up :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back