Diorama Techniques: Planes, Armor, Ships, Artillery and Troops (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Get it in the spray can for your bushes. And yes. readily available just about anywhere.

A good tips Matt.:thumbleft:

B-17engineer, for the tree you should look much more careful around your yard.For sure there is something what can be used for that.

Sounds good. You local hobbyshop will have trees in the railroad section. But they are PRICEY!! How good are you at drawing and painting. You could try your hand in making some remains of a barn or building. Just a thought. Best to keep it simple initially.

B17, your dad have any old (or new) sandpaper sheets in the garage? Glue the 150-200grit brown colored paper to your base. Makes a great road surface. Commensurately, the dark grey version of the same in 400grit looks like asphalt. You can cut it in anyshape you like with a simple pair of scissors.

Alright thanks I don't think he has any but I could use some of my birthday money and the money I have now on supplies....my Birthday is October 1st!! lol

Thanks Wurger and Matt

Like Remains of a Building....could I used a SMashed Cinder block? for debris and should the sticks glued together be a bunker or just a barrier ?

Wurger I do have branch from a pine trees but there white and look like snow here's a picture...

Attachments

• 102_2930.jpg
    102_2930.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 71
B17 you have to put yourself in the scene. Your Pine tree frond would look HUGE in 1/72nd. But some sticks could serve very well from cut and stripped trees. Finding something that looks like a 1/72nd scale tree in your yard is likely impossible. The leaves/needles just won't be small enough. I would focus on things that look like small bushes. Your moss is a great start.

Sit down with a piece of paper and draw out your diarama. Try to draw it somewhat to scale. You will find that you don't need too much to make it look rather nice.

I agree with Matt totally.If you draw your project on a sheet of paper it can help you very much.Besides you can estimate the tree dimension ( high ) using quite easy mathematic formula for a scale.

Good idea Wurger. A 30 foot tree being [(30/72)*12]=5" Trying to find a plant that looks like a full grown tree at 5 inches would impress a Bonzai Master and would literally be worth tens of thousands of dollars. Not gonna happen. Stick with the bushes or spend the money and buy a tree. But its gonna cost ya.

Exactly Matt, this is the formula.:D There is another way to scratch build the tree.It is neded a root of a plant which would be looked like the tree trunk with some branches.To the branches can be sticked some parts of the moss and the stock can be painted with some colours for the rind imitation.

But then how would I conceal the Pak 40 if there were no trees?

Thanks for all your help so far!

This is the only part that confuses me..

Since it is going to be a pretty big diorama

I will have the Pak 40 on one side by itself with some trees...and the other a broken/bombed out building and Germans hiding in ditches,Artillery Craters, etc. ? thats what I am thinking

ok so.....I will go find some different looking sticks to look like trees and stripped ones.....

Then glue some small sticks together as a bunker/barrier...then have some rubble,artillery craters and ditches on the OTHER side of the road where the 22 Germans are hiding.....together 25 Germans (22 foot soldiers and 3 Crew for the Pak 40

Americans 20 of them will be walking in front of the 2 jeeps and tank.THere will be ditches on the side of the road for Americans to hide in.....

Alright this week probably Saturday.....going to get my supplies

ALright cool thanks I know what I am going to do now!

btw there are going to be trees knocked down because of the Artillery firing and the tank running into it.....any plain stick will work ?

Also you can use pliers for the effect.Simply crush wood at these plases where the shells hit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back