Diorama Techniques: Planes, Armor, Ships, Artillery and Troops

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

regarding the washing, you might want to wash your figures in mild detergent/hand soap with warm water and then dry them off real well. I recall those figures having some glycerin type coating on them to help free them from their molds.

Ya that's what I was thinking cause this is all new to me and like i said school starts on Thursday and I got Soccer and Baseballon Saturday and SUnday so I will put aside a day to gather and by all my materials

Trees are more hard to replicate. But short grass in 1/72nd can be painted. Small shrubs can be dried moss coated in matt clear or other small scale flora around the yard. Walk around outside and use your imagination. The only thing about using live plants (vice dried and clear coated) is that they will eventually dry out and crumble if even slightly touched. Use pieces of cotton balls. Just think about what you have around. That's what makes the build fun. Muller is a prime example of just using ordinary "stuff".

Alright cool thanks a lot Matt!

Alright so on my ogenda to get

Paint
Plaster
and
A Board for my base

Anything else ?

Does your dad have any old pieces of plywood in the garage? Think man. Think. What about the neighbors. 2' x 2' is plenty big. Where are you going to put it when you are done?. Some of the best diaramas I made were smaller than a page of paper.

My neighbors may have some I will go ask tommorow.....About one week from now I am gonna try Michael's arts and crafts store see what they have....I got my paints there from earlier seems like they would have what I need

If its the Michael's store like here, you can find all sorts of cool stuff. Look around. Plaster of Paris is certainly there. Oh and a cheap picture frame... makes a great diarama base!!! Mask off your frame and build your scene in the middle. The frame will set it off really nice. Your mom might even want to keep it. ;)

Yes it probably is. Alright that makes me feel a lot better because I know what I am doing. Yes now I got it !!!

If you put plaster of paris on a smooth surface, it won't adhere. It will just crack and fall apart. If you buy a flat board/picture frame, you can add things like Muller, contruction adhesive, spackle and other similar products to add some dimension. Ask your Michael's or local hardware store person what you can use and tell them what you are thinking of doing. They will help. Once you have a rough base, you can then add elmers glue (white glue) to the whole area and put sifted dirt or sand over the top and let it dry. Sand would have to be REAL small for 1/72nd. I would use VERY dry dirt sifted through mom's metal kitchen strainer (don't tell her... or she will remove a year off your life). :lol:

You can have roads be the flat parts, and build up areas for trenches or for your Pak40 emplacement. Go to the library and find some pics that inspire your for you scene. That is what I would do.

hhahahah will do I will probably use the spackle then.

I will go and look for pictures and then go to the store and see what best from there.....I actually have a book on the The third reich and artillery of WWII see what those have

A hardware store, Walmart, or any other store that would have basic home maintenance stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back