Diorama Techniques: Planes, Armor, Ships, Artillery and Troops

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok good!

On a different subject paint the face of a figure...do you do that like your normally painting...cause thats a small part to paint

Would just be extra careful?

So what I was planing was..... a 1' by 1' picture frame maybe a little bit bigger.....A dirt road and an ambushed American convoy. I would have a Pak 40 emplacment farther back in the woods. Probably use 15-25 Germans and 20 AMericans.....

So as far as SPackle that would be for the scenery or road

I would use the spackle to give your scene some texture. The road can be the flat base. Sounds like a lot of activity for a 1 x 1 frame. A convoy AND a gun emplacement?

B-17, you're getting the idea now! :)

When I paint my figures, I prime them 1st with a spray can of grey or white primer, easily available in a hardware store. Stand them on blue-tak, don't know what you might call that in the US. It's the stuff you stick posters on a wall with.

I then use a fine very fine detail brush (size 00 I think). Paint the face and hands a flesh colour 1st, you can buy flesh colour paint, I mix my own, 50/50 white yellow, and a bit of red. It doesn't matter if you get paint on the uniform or helmet at this stage cos you are going to paint them olive/grey anyway.

Then paint the the uniforms, be careful no to paint on the flesh bits, then I paint the boots, belts, equipment and weapons.

I'd stick with trying this 1st, there are techniques to 'weather' your figures, but thats for when you are more confident with painting them. But you can research online, there are lots of sites with good figure painting guides, explained a lot better than I can do, with pics too!

Looking forward to seeing your progress. :)

Yep, primer should only take about 20-30 mins to dry. And when painting the figures let each colour you put on dry before applying the next.

Taking a walk I found this moss...this could work as grass right?

Attachments

• 102_2923.jpg
    102_2923.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 102_2925.jpg
    102_2925.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 102_2926.jpg
    102_2926.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 102_2928.jpg
    102_2928.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 87
Looking good.But you should remember that the grass has to be of the proper for the diorama scale.I think you don't want to have bushes instead of the grass. :lol:

Yep bushes. Let it dry in the sun on concrete or something and then paint it with matt clear to keep it from falling apart. Excellent bushes! Small sticks glued and stacked would make a good Pak40 gun emplacement. ;)

Like a Bunker or Barrier and Matt clear i can find anywhere right?

It is going to be a dirt road running through the middle with wooded area on either side with Germans Hiding....

The Convoy is only going to show three vehicles just for space issues A tank and 2 Jeeps

German soldiers will have Panzerfausts, Panzershrecks. Mp40, Mp44, and Kar 98K

Also have a Pak 40 emplacement and Crew

Americans will have M1 Garands, Thompsons, Bars, and Springfield sniper rifles

Can't find anything in my yard that looks like a tree or replicates one....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back