Diorama Techniques: Planes, Armor, Ships, Artillery and Troops

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For trees you can use small twigs. Smear some glue onto one end of it and roll it in lichen or that green finely cut foam. The lichen and green foam can be bought from model railway stores for not a lot. I'll try and find some articles from my model railway magazines and scan em in.

And here is some basic ground cover from the Melbourne 2008 thread.

Attachments

• Spitfire_0429.JPG
    Spitfire_0429.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 123
Yup nice mix of static grass and what looks like a thin layer of cork thats been painted after having a few divets added to give it that realistic look. The only flat grass is on a golf green so make sure there is undulation where grass it.

Another idea for trees. Once you've added the lichen / foam, spray the 'tree' with spray adhesive (from graphics art shops) or even a rattle can of matt varnish, then sprinkle on dried herbs, eg oregano and / or tea leaves. Once spray painted lightly, they look very realistic. Also works of course for bushes hedges. Long grass, rough grass etc. can be made from clumps of bristles cut to required size from old paint brushes (decorators) and separated twine. The 'Woodland Scenics' range is good for base materials for trees etc., with the additions mentioned above. Model railway suppliers normally carry a bigger range of scenics accessories than 'model' shops.

Its been a loooong time since I did a dio!!

Like Airframes said, model train suppliers have tons of scale foliage that you can work into.

as for the building you said, I used styrofoam board that I broke up and painted. Gave the brick feel and worked pretty well - at least for a base for the walls. then used small pieces of balsa wood to "frame" out the floor and roof (since it was demolished I could use a few pieces to give an idea of a roof or floor.)

Back to your trees B17. You can try using the stalks from bunches of grapes. Cut them to length needed, varnish to prevent decay. Paint as required, then add foliage.Sort of works for small trees up to 1/48th scale but not brilliant. However, in all scales up to 1/24th., the only sure way of getting a scale height and span is to make your own. It is a long drawn out method, takes time, but the results are worth it! Get some copper wire, for example stripped from three or multi-core electrical cable, cut to lengths LONGER than height of tree, and twist a number of strands together, like a rigid 'rope'. Splay out the tops to make boughs and branches to suit, coat 'trunk' in filler or modelling putty and, when dry, paint in greys with a dry-brush of browns. (NEVER straight brown!) Add foliage etc., 'plant' base of trunk into hole drilled in baseboard. Voila!One tree! Note, it helps to wrap the wire trunk and boughs in masking tape before coating in filler or putty. Using this method, you can make any scale tree, type of tree etc., and they will LOOK like trees, far better than plastic 'toy' trees!

Another idea for trees. Once you've added the lichen / foam, spray the 'tree' with spray adhesive (from graphics art shops) or even a rattle can of matt varnish, then sprinkle on dried herbs, eg oregano and / or tea leaves. Once spray painted lightly, they look very realistic. Also works of course for bushes hedges. .

Thats brilliant. And don't buy the small bottles. Go to your local store where they sell spices in bulk. You can literally get a cup full of oregano, time, sage or whatever you wish for literally less than a dollar. If you buy the spices in the little bottles, you will pay $7 a bottlel (2Tblsp).

Great idea!!!! :cool:

You can also hair spray as a fixative.

Ill scan those articles in by the weekend b17 and whack em up online.

Alright fellas?? :) I've got a few days off so I'll be working on the DAK dio, hoping to get all the figures painted and in place and getting the Horch 108 finished. I'll post pics.

And while I'm waiting for paint to dry I'm gonna start work in a 1/48 I-16. 1st plane in a while!

Hey B17, that greenish grey crap also comes in plastic bags, ready dyed in 'foliage' shades. It should be available from model, hobby and model railway shops; it is in the U.K. A little tip when using it; don't just throw a clump on a twig - tease it out, cut it as required, whatever you think looks good. Remember, use your immagination, visualise what you want first, THEN do it. It's your project, so a little time thinking about it will save many mistakes. Look at real trees etc. and model what you see. But remember, you won't find pine trees in a desert, or palm trees on a German airfield! Good luck!

alright will do!

so I am use Spackle to get elevation and texture...then use 150-200 grit sandpaper for the "dirt road" and then I am good from there

Moss that was left out in the sun sprayed with Matt clear as bushes....hopefully this should turn out well...i am really looking foward to it!

Matt, am I using the reverse side of the picture frame...or the regular side...?

Thanks everyone who has given me tips I really appreciate it!!

I think the regular side will be looking better.I'll try to upload the other Peter's diorama where he used a picture frame as the base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back