Dirk's 1/72 Academy P-51A Mustang Captain Paul Hexter's "Razzle Dazzle" Mustang

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking good. This should be fun to watch unfold. I think I know the buffalo scheme of wich you speak and my advise is, DO THEM BOTH! Would be really cool.

Very cool idea Dirk! I've thought about doing that P-51 ever since first saw it years ago but never got to it. Have you seen the camo schemes of the P-36's at the Cleavland Air Races (1939 or 40 I can't remember off hand) Every plane in the squadron had different camo. I did the C/Os plane quite a few years ago. The most complicated camo I ever did. I should dust it off and post it.
I'll be keeping track of this build Dirk!

I love building mustangs, that one should be sweet!

A quick start to the interior. Again I'm fighting myself to not attempt anything but oob for the interior.

The Interior Parts

IMG_3361.jpg

Assembled

IMG_3362.jpg

Cockpit in place

IMG_3363.jpg

IMG_3364.jpg

Dry fit the wings

IMG_3364.jpg

Wings glued in place. This kit has a great fit and will need very little filler

IMG_3369.jpg

Sorry, This last photo is a bit blurry but it shows the cockpit in-place along with what I believe is a recon camera mounted behind the pilots seat.

IMG_3368.jpg

Thanks for looking

That razzle dazzle is going to be tough, and I notice a certain typhoon in one of the shots!

The rear control surfaces were also installed

IMG_3376-1.jpg

Last we left this one the cockpit was completed and the fuselage, wings and control surfaces were assembled. Some filler was added, sanded and then added and sanded again. Next it was given a coat of white primer and more filling was needed. Next a coat or two of classic white was added.

IMG_3856.jpg

Now the fun begins :confused: :shock: :oops:

Here are some drawing I found guidance

P-51Dazzleb.jpg

P-51Dazzle.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back