Dirk's 1/72 Airfix Beaufighter "Reverse Lend Lease"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes, there were three types of intake on the Hercules engines, and each type can be seen on various Marks, with, for example, the MkVI having all three ! It's a case of pining it down to the specific aircraft, and also the theatre.

I made a little more progress on this one the last few days. I apologize in advance for the blurriness of some of the photos.

Now that the colors were acceptable its time to work on some of the small stuff. I started with the collaborator intakes. As I said before and I think I showed you the intakes on the real aircraft are longer then the ones supplied by Airfix. Not that big deal.

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

The make the modifications I pulled some Evergreen styrene form my stock (Love this stuff :D)

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

Next I applied some Mr Surfacer 500 and let it dry. After that I did some preliminary sanding and reapplied some Mr Surface 500. This happened 3 times. The last time I applied Mr Surfacer 1000. We'll get back to these after they dry.

Next I dry-fitted the cockpit canopy. :evil: I'll worry about this later. I want to get it masked and painted first. I feel that will be easier then with it attached to the aircraft.

IMG_0564.jpg

Now I noticed that the American birds they didn't use the rear gunner. That's all well and good but this kit came with one canopy with a cut out for the rear gunners. No big deal with my best friend Micro Kristal Clear. :D

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

Now I've run into another problem which I hope I can over come with relative ease. It seems the dry transfers I was going to use for the names "Fluff, Patsy, and Amby" are too big. I will have to see if I can find some smaller transfers or else.... I might have to change the aircraft I'm doing. :mad:

Till next time thanks for looking.

Nice work Dirk, it's starting to look the part. What colour is the lettering on the names? If it's not white, you can reduce the dry transfers on the PC, then print the images onto clear inkjet decal paper. If required, to add density, these can then be painted over with thin acrylic paint of the appropriate colour, then sealed with a clear coat before use as normal.

Not much to show here lately as I didn't have the proper transfers to customize the exterior. Well I found what I needed yesterday and set to work last night. The location of the markings made it a bit of a challenge to do with only two hands but it the end its not too bad.

First there is "PATSY". Its a bit hard to see the yellow on the gray but its there.

IMG_0606.jpg

Then there was "FLUFF"

IMG_0607.jpg

Last there is "AMBY"

IMG_0609.jpg

The finish line is in sight, thanks for looking

great work Dirk!

If you want to replace the engines, Ron's Resins used to do a set for the Beau in 1:72. Seems to be out of production now, but maybe you can find it somewhere...

Here is something I dredged up from the past. I've been stalled on this one for months and months but now the end is in site.

I was finally able to get the pros painted and mounted. For some reason the props were a sticking point for me on this one.

IMG_2341.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2343.jpg

IMG_2344.jpg

I know the "12" on the nose is a little off but its the closest I've been able to get them in about 37 trys. I figure once it gets weathered it should look a little better

IMG_2345.jpg

The next step on this is going to be scratch building the night fighter aerials for the wings and nose.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back