Dirk's 1/72 Airfix Beaufighter "Reverse Lend Lease"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here's what I've found so far Dirk. The Beaus given over, 100 of them, were MkVIf's, fitted with AI Mk1 radar, in the 'normal' nose, with the arrowhead antenna and dipoles on the wings, and also MkVIf's with the centimetric MkVII radar, in the 'thimble' nose. All were painted in the standard RAF night fighter camouflage of overall Medium Sea Grey, with Dark Green disruptive pattern upper surfaces.
The pics and smaller profile sheet are from Squadron Signal Beaufighter in Action, whilst the larger profile sheet is from 'Warpaint - Beaufighter'.
You can see the 'thimble' nose on the profile, and in one of the pics.
I probably have some B&W profiles somewhere if you need more info.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Beau 1.pdf
    342.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Beau 2.pdf
    351.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Beau 3.pdf
    520.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Full page fax print.pdf
    353.3 KB · Views: 76
Not a lot of progress on this one recently other then some tinkering with adding the wing tip lights. This is my first go so be nice. :oops:

If you remember from earlier in the thread the wing tips were pretty chewed up. The only idea I could come up with to fix this without tons o putty was to guy the tips (damaged areas) and put in wing lights. Her's how it went.

First I started with some clear stock. Its the same material I used to make the landing light in the wing.

IMG_3236.jpg

Cut to a workable size

IMG_3238.jpg

From what I understand the wing tips had clear lenses with a colored bulb. I did my best to figure out the location of the bulb and went to work. I drilled a small hole into the plastic.

IMG_3243.jpg

Next I filled the hole with some green and red Testors paint to represent the bulbs

IMG_3329.jpg

Attached the tip to the wing. Yes Yes I know there should be a front and rear lens but this is just an experiment. If it works next time I will do both.

IMG_3235.jpg

After a whole lot of filing and sanding this is where it stands. It still needs some more work to get the shape fit correctly to the wing and then some polishing.

IMG_0494.jpg

Ok now that the wing lights have been beat into shape its time to put some paint to plastic.

I was able to find an actual picture of the bird i'm doing of the 416th NFS.

beaufit13a.jpg

This isn't the same aircraft but it is still a Reverse Lend Lease Beau. This bird is from the 415th NFS

Beau5.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

charlie-brown-baseball-aaugh.jpg

Boy did I screw the pooch on this wing.

IMG_0525.jpg

Undoing my mistake. All ready for another try.

IMG_0526.jpg

The reason I had to redo the left wing can be seen here

beaufit13a-1.jpg

IMG_0525-1.jpg

All better

IMG_0527.jpg

I'm really hating these engine nacelles. I'm tossing around the idea of ripping them off and replacing with Resin. I know they make them but don't know where. If anyone can help a fella out please let me know.

IMG_0528.jpg

Looks like you caught it in time anyway. The patterns were applied to a set standard, so it would be the same as an RAF Beau of the period. Rather intrigued why you've sprayed it before fitting the carb intakes though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back