**** DONE: 1/40 Grumman F-14 "Tomcat" - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hers are pics of the dry fit of the nose and tail pieces. Took these the other day and forgot to put them up...

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2578.JPG
    DSC_2578.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_2579.JPG
    DSC_2579.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 67
Great work Charles, and you'e tempting me more and more to get a balsa kit, and see if some detail can be added. My LHS has a number of the 'basic' Guillows kits, at reasonable prices - problem is I don't have work surface I can stick pins into, so would have to get a board on the table.

Really like the workmanship gone into this kit Charles, from you and the kit designers.

Can't speak for myself, but the design of the kit is well thought out. However, the fuselage construction method used is very complicated. I find myself reading then re-reading instructions. I've missed a few items, and had to go back and fix them. Don't think too much of bond paper gear doors, either. Just wait til I start making the ejection seats ! They are a joke....

Charles

Looks great in the pics anyway Charles!

Terry, you should be able to get a cheap notice board somewhere that would do the trick.

Last edited:
WOW Charles looks like you have come up trumps again, brilliant subject and an unusual build again. I was also thinking F-14 for this GB with my 1/32 Tomcat but it's not a kit I want to rush.

Terry: A good 1/4" composition board (1' x 2') will work fine as a work surface. Stay away from plywood over 1/4", as it has hard spots and you'll bend a lot of pins.

Charles

Thanks, fellas, for the kind words....

Wings have been constructed, now it's sanding and doping, prior to covering with tissue. Have a picnic to go to, this afternoon, in Portsmouth, so we're probably done model making for today. Next step is to construct the tail assembly. Here's a dry fit (just pinned on) of the wings, in swept back position.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2588.JPG
    DSC_2588.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_2589.JPG
    DSC_2589.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 61
Looking really good Charles. Going to Portsmouth? That's a six or seven hour flight, plus around three hours from London ... oh, wrong Portsmouth !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back