**** DONE: 1/40 Grumman F-14 "Tomcat" - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

f-14b_162912_vf-11_01_of_15.jpg

f-14b_162912_vf-11_11_of_15.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, Lads....

Just finished giving both rudders and both stabilizers their first coat of 50/50 clear dope/thinner. Also got almost all of the topside of the F-14 covered. It's drying as we speak. Still have a small area right behind the cockpit to do, but that will take some finesse, and I'm not up to it tonight.

Pic's in the morning.

Charles

Coming along great Charles. Curious to see how the concave curvature at the underside engine nacelles are skinned.

Last night I promised pic's in the a.m. Here they are. Most of the topside has been covered, sprayed and shrunk. Will work on the area behind the cockpit today. Might get some of the underside covered, too. Also gave the wings and tail feathers one coat of the 50/50 clear dope/thinner mix.

Yes, that's a patch aft of the cockpit. I put the tip of my knife through the covering.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2597.JPG
    DSC_2597.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_2598.JPG
    DSC_2598.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_2599.JPG
    DSC_2599.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 60
Very cool. So when you have a concave shape like where the flat area meets the engine nacelle at the rear, do you use two pieces of the paper covering that intersect at the corner or one piece covering the whole thing? If it's one piece, I'm wondering what prevents it from pulling away from the balsa stringers when you dope it.

Very cool. So when you have a concave shape like where the flat area meets the engine nacelle at the rear, do you use two pieces of the paper covering that intersect at the corner or one piece covering the whole thing? If it's one piece, I'm wondering what prevents it from pulling away from the balsa stringers when you dope it.

Andy: I will use many pieces of tissue, probably small pieces. Some for the flat area and others for the rounded area, using pieces maybe 1/2" X 2", and taking it one section at a time. Will make for a better fit. The tissue is put on with a clear dope that acts like an adhesive. After it dries good you'd have to cut it off.

Had an eye exam, today, and the doc dilated my eyes, so for a couple of hours my vision is very limited. Also, got my Hellcat in the mail, today. Hope to start it Saturday.

Charles

Thanks for the explanation Charles. I had the impression that the dope shrinks and tightens the paper so I was thinking that it would pull away from the ribs. Makes sense now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back