**** DONE: 1/40 Grumman F-14 "Tomcat" - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the explanation Charles. I had the impression that the dope shrinks and tightens the paper so I was thinking that it would pull away from the ribs. Makes sense now.

Not quite, Andy. After the area is covered and the dope dries, you spray it with water. This causes the tissue to shrink. Doping with the 50/50 mix of clear dope/thinner seals the pores in the tissue so it can be painted. Also makes it a bit tougher to put a finger through.... but I manage anyway.

BTW, I am using a new method of covering that I read about in a model airplane magazine. It's called "perimeter covering".
You select an area to be covered, cut your tissue to overlap a bit, then dope only the outer perimeter of the area to be covered. I use to dope ever rib and stringer in the area to be covered. This saves time and dope. As for my wings, I just dope the outer perimeter, not the ribs or stringers. It appears to work good.

Charles

Last edited:
Truly in a class by yourself!
I would like to do one of the easier flyable ones with my oldest grandson, but that will have to wait a bit...

Thanks, Paul. If you're going to do a first time balsa/tissue build, I would suggest a high wing monoplane. Something like a Piper or Cessna. I think I have a Guillows Cessna O-1E "Bird-Dog" around here...... it's yours if you want it.

Charles

Thanks, all... The topside is fully covered. Before I start the bottom-side I am going to put a coat of my 50/50 solution on it. It will strengthen it a bit. Hope to start the Hellcat sometime today too.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2600.JPG
    DSC_2600.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 58
Worked on the F-14 for awhile, today. Have the underside almost completely covered. Hopefully, get it all covered tomorrow.

Charles

edit: After posting the above I gave the entire underside that has been covered a coat of my 50/50 mix.
Also, got the winning bid on eBay for an F3F-2... looks like I'll be in GB #16

Attachments

• DSC_2601.JPG
    DSC_2601.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_2602.JPG
    DSC_2602.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back