**** DONE: 1/48 Arado Ar234B-2 - Jet/Recon/Transport GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was one step ahead of you Terry and checked my references for the very reason you said and it looks to be closed:

Ar 234 Tail.jpg

Here's a question. Does anyone have a reference showing the underside of a wartime Ar234 that confirms that the rear undersides of the engine nacelles are natural metal? Hasegawa's instruction call these area up as NMF but Me262s with the same engines appear to have these areas RLM76 from front to back on the undersides.

Thanks Geo. I watched a video on the 234 and it looks like some of them may have had the rear panels unpainted. I may just go with that to add further interest to the paint scheme but unfortunately pics of F1+MT don't allow a definitive answer. Your pic above shows that there's at least one example of 76 over the full length of the nacelle!

I found a camouflage pattern of the -B in the Monogram Close-up book that says "This provisional pattern appears on most examples of the Ae234" and show the back 1/3 painted RLM22. Seeing as this is all written in English, take it for what you will. I've got one more book to look through.

Geo

A little bit to report on my Blitz today.

Work on the upper canopy as partly done. The rivet decals have been applied and the periscope added and painted. Also, I masked the frames on the inside and spritzed on some RLM66.

13051703.jpg

With the colours left over in my airbrush from work on my Dora, I started on the 81/82 splinter scheme:

13051701.jpg

13051702.jpg

Thanks for looking in. Should get some more done over the rainy weekend.

Good catch on the rudder actuator Andy. Don't know if these will help or hinder re the engine nacelles - from 'War Planes of the Luftwaffe'.

Attachments

• Arado 1.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 121
  • Arad 2.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 208
Here's a question. Does anyone have a reference showing the underside of a wartime Ar234 that confirms that the rear undersides of the engine nacelles are natural metal? Hasegawa's instruction call these area up as NMF but Me262s with the same engines appear to have these areas RLM76 from front to back on the undersides.

The pictures from Arado AR 234C by David Myhra show it both ways, though I am not sure it if was painted or just turned a dark color due to the heat.

Not sure if these will help Andy, but the show the exhaust area as a darker colour but in other pictures I have there is also the continuation of the camo to the end of the exhaust. My gut feeling is that initially they would be all factory fresh paint but with use the heat from the exhaust may have necessitated replacing the exhaust cone due to heat distortion or cracking, hence the possibility of bare metal.

20130519-1a.jpg

20130519-1b.jpg

Thanks Jerry. Here's some pics of the major progress achieved today.

First off, with the engines situated the way they are, I needed to mask off a good portion of the underside so I could paint the sides of the nacelles.

13051901.jpg

One of the disadvantages of doing the flaps the way I did is that the damned things are in the way for painting. Even without these, it's pretty touch getting the airbrush into the inside nacelle walls.

13051902.jpg

13051903.jpg

After all this was done, I proceeded to spritz on the 81/82 camo. The 82 was remixed from the other day and is now Tamiya 3:XF-51+2:XF-64. All paint has been done freehand with my Iwata HP-C.

13051905.jpg

13051906.jpg

13051904.jpg

..and after that cured, on went the Future to sit for a day or two.

13051907.jpg

13051908.jpg

I've decided to go with the metallic parts on the rear of the engine but it occurred to me know that I'm not sure how Alclad II will go over an acrylic finish. Don't want to ruin this now!

8:42 tee time tomorrow and the weather has taken a turn for the better so I'll give this one a rest for a bit and maybe work on the Dora tomorrow afternoon/evening. Thanks for the continued interest guys.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back