**** DONE: 1/48 Bf 109E-1 Defence of Britain/Atlantic.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks mate, you're a star but can you tell me if the 5th pic down *(post 39) is a 109E as most I have found do not have a coolant tank fitted.

Yes, it is the Bf 109E for sure. The additional oil tank wasn't attached to of all Emils and it depended on the DB 601 engine version. Therefore you may find these both with that and without it. The oil tank was mounted for Emils powered by the DB 601N engine and was of the capacity 9 l. And this is the reason I would say the mentioned image shows Bf 109E-4/N.

Two shots more...

DBengine1.jpg

DBengine2.jpg

Last edited:
Great reference pics Wojtek, and spot on re the additional oil tank.
Don't forget Vic, the the entire front cowling on the 'E' was removed, unlike the later, hinged version ot the 'F' onward. The 'saddle' cowling was also one piece, and could be removed individually from the engine cowling. I'm sure you knew this anyway, but as you mentioned a 'hatch', I thought I'd just clarify.

Thanks guys and I'll admit Terry that I was unsure about the cowling fittings until looking at Wojtek's reference pictures. At that stage I had both options available to me, my initial intention was to use a hatch opening and just detail the port side engine, so now I'm going detail both sides and use the full cowling.

No problem Vic. The front of the (removed) cowling had a 'perforated' frame on the front edge. The pic below shows the shape of this.

Attachments

• Czech 098.jpg
    Czech 098.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 66
Also please notice that the part of fuselage behind the "saddle" part of the engine cowling up to the windshield was attached with fasteners and was easy removable too. Here in the pic below both parts can be seen "sitting" on the ground.

Bf109E-1 DB601A_.jpg

262681.jpg

Last edited:
Vic, the perforations seen in pics with the prop are in the 'back plate' of the spinner - the main cowling also had perforations in the reinforcing frame around the periphery of the front of the cowling, as shown in the pic I posted. I have a pic somewhere, showing a cowling, so I'll post it sometime over the weekend.

Thanks for looking in folks and for the encouragement.

My thanks also to Terry ad Wojtek for all that info input and pics, as you can see from the first pic, the basic kit detail is quite good, all I had to do was sink the holes a bit more to give the impression of depth. Having done this to the spinner back plate, I now thinking of leaving off the spinner, be a shame to hide the detail.

20150926 1.jpg

Engine is together and though quite detailed with moulded piping and ignition leads, I'm toying with the idea of adding some extra detail.

20150924 1.jpg

20150924 2.jpg

20150924 3.jpg

:thumbright:

BTW.. the engine mount seems to be of the RLM02 too. Of course the particular kite could have had the part painted silver by the maintenace crew.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back