**** DONE: 1/48 Bf 109E-1 Defence of Britain/Atlantic.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Going all out on the Emil! Looking forward to seeing how the Eduard kit goes together along with all of the AM components too!

Have been pottering with this one today, sort of filling in time before short break tomorrow. Pics of progress will follow in a week and I'm having fun with the resin, PE and plastic, all going together reasonably well.

Will be back next weekend.

Detailed look to have the plane that good ....
and wanted to see how well you stay, you'll have me attentive to the advances my friend.

Just starting to get this show on the road. A bit of PE and resin work and some minor surgery.

Starting with the MG 17 gun pack and guns and cover.

20150902 1.jpg

20150902 2.jpg

A small bit of surgery to remove the radio access panel, replacing this with a bit of PE. My intention is to leave this off as there is some good detail within the rear compartment, though one suspects little will be visible unless I were to light it up (currently not an option), but not to worry, I will know the detail is there.

20150902 3.jpg

A little extra detail in the cockpit, the flexible pipe was made from a thin bit of wire wrapped around with even thinner wire, it should when painted look okay.

20150902 5.jpg

The resin floor of the cockpit with joy stick and rudder bar.

20150902 6.jpg

Lastly the resin backside of the upper instrument panel which if I leave the gun pack cover off, it will be visible, so I've just added a bit of extra detail.

20150902 7.jpg

Those guns and 'saddle' cowling look great Vic, and the extra cockpit detail is worth the effort. Is the 'saddle' a PE par, supplied in the kit - looks like brass, and must be very close to scale thickness ?

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Those guns and 'saddle' cowling look great Vic, and the extra cockpit detail is worth the effort. Is the 'saddle' a PE par, supplied in the kit - looks like brass, and must be very close to scale thickness ?

Not quite Terry, the whole gun pack and saddle are from an Edwards Brassin set mostly in resin with bits of PE, the exception being the brass MG 17 barrels. They were not part of the kit, which is just a basic Edwards no frills kit coming in a plain white box of sprue sheets and instructions, but no decals.

The cockpit detail and radio hatch are also Edwards Brassin resin and PE designed to fit the kit though at extra cost.

Looking really good Vic. I believe that the back of the instruments were normally covered by a leather or fabric shroud, seen in the below pic albeit ripped open.

me109e_mg17a.jpg

Thanks Andy. I do have one of those and was debating about using it, though it will need modification as the guns kind of get in the way. But then I thought, what the heck, use the inst backing and stick in some wiring. Anyway, things could change.

Thanks for all the lovely comments guys, it's be neigh-on three weeks since last posting some form of progress. Time has not been wasted though the will to proceed has been somewhat lacking so I have only been nibbling at the edges of this build. Anyway, here is a bit of an update.

Both internal side walls.

20150917 1.jpg

The office seating and other bits.

20150917 3.jpg

20150917 2.jpg

The radio compartment.

20150917 4.jpg

I'm also looking for any pics on the port side of the fitted Daimler-Benz DB 601A engine that was fitted to most of the Bf 109E range. I'm hoping to show mine with an opened service hatch on the port side but am having trouble finding a good view. Most of the pics I have found up to now have been mostly the Bf 109G which has quite a number of additions crammed into the area.

Can anyone help with details on this Bf 109E DB engine!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back