**** DONE: 1/48 Bf 109E-1 Defence of Britain/Atlantic. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
Username: Vic Balshaw
First name: Vic
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Eduard 8261X

OOB which included the following Eduard "Big Ed" resin and PE detail sets: ED48074 cockpit and Radio Compartment, ED 48060 MG 17 gun mount, ED48058 wheel and EX317 Mask. I've also thrown in a set of these reasonably new laser fabric seatbelts to try out, I believe they are very good.

For this build I've decided to come from the other side i.e. the attackers during the BoB. My subject being Artur Beese. There is some debate as to the yellow identification markings on this aircraft. The picture of Beese standing beside his wrecked aircraft I believe is a 109E-4 which he was flying when shot down near Calais in late 1940, looking at it closely, I think it still retains the original camouflage and not the yellow identification markings. This leads me to believe that my model should also retain the original camo markings but any input from you guys who are more in the know than I will be most welcome.

20150804 b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beese joined JG 26 in October or November 1939 and as an Unteroffizier and was assigned to the Stabstaffel of III./JG 26. Shot down in aerial combat with a French Morane 406 fighters near Lille in France during the Battle for France, Beese was taken prisoner on 1 June 1940. Beese was able to take up the fight in the Battle of Britain when released from internment after the fall of France.

On 24 August 1940, Feldwebel Beese was again shot down, this time by a RAF fighter over the English Channel and luckily, was rescued unharmed by the German rescue service. It is this aircraft that I'm hoping to reproduce in this Bf 109E-1.

Beese claimed his first victory, a RAF Spitfire fighter shot down on 24 July 1941. Beese went on to claim a credited with 22 victories in 285 missions. He recorded seven victories over the Eastern front, including three Il-2 Sturmovik ground-attack aircraft. Of his 15 Western front victories, six were four-engine bombers. Oberleutnant Beese was shot down in aerial combat with a USAAF P-47 fighters near Melun in France on 6 February 1944. He attempted to bail out of his stricken Fw 190A-6 (W.Nr. 531 060) "White 7" but hit the tail and was killed.

Beese was posthumously awarded the Deutsches Kreuz in Gold on 29 March 1944.

20150804 aa.jpg

20150804 a.jpg

20150804 c.jpg

20150804 e.jpg

20150804 d.jpg

It may be a while before I get to start this build as I've a couple more plastic piles to sort out first.

Nice one Vic.
The yellow (originally white) I.D. markings were introduced in mid August 1940, at first as a segment on the top of the rudder and at the wing tips. By late August, rudders were fully painted in the colour(s), with the nose colouring following soon after. As with many things of the period, there were variations, with some of the changes not taking place until early September, but mostly completed by September 6th.
The original white (washable) paint was replaced by yellow, to aid visibility, but white could still be seen, particularly on some JG3 aircraft, as late as early September 1940.

Very much looking forward to seeing this one come together with all those accoutrements. The photo of the crash sure looks to me as though the green on the upper fuselage extends to the nose, suggesting no yellow there.

Here are 2 more:

934Rg.jpg
umRae.jpg

I agree, the top deck of the nose and cowling is still in the camouflage colours. However, early application of the washable white or yellow on the nose, only extended down from the upper colour demarcation. I've seen various prints of the photo Vic posted originally, where in some it looks like the nose could painted in one of the colours (below the demarcation), and in others it looks like it's still RLM 65. I've also seen captions stating that the crash-landing was in May, June and July !
If it was before around August 12th, then I'd go for no colour on the nose.

I agree with Terry and Andy. No yellow colour there. All enlarged pictures show it clearly especially if it is compared to the yellow of the yellow number 11 and Gruppe bar.

bf-109e-1-defence-britain-atlantic-20150804-a.jpg

bf-109e-1-defence-britain-atlantic-umraeb.jpg

bf-109e-1-defence-britain-atlantic-934rga.jpg

I've also seen captions stating that the crash-landing was in May, June and July ! If it was before around August 12th, then I'd go for no colour on the nose.

The crash landing was near Saint Inglevert (which is about as close to the south coast of England as you can get in France) on 24th August 1940.

There are definitely no yellow tactical markings on the aircraft.

There are some other good close up pictures of some of the bullet strikes on the aircraft, including just in front of the fuel filler cap behind the cockpit and on the rear pilot armour, which surely saved Beese.

JG 26 lost three Bf 109s on this date.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, I also have seen a number of other pics of the crash site and you info definitely reaffirms my decision leave out a white or yellow nose.

As for progress, nothing yet, I'm still finishing off a couple of other models and am also taking a short winter break up to Hamilton Island next Saturday, a bit of lounging about on the beach, under the sun with a nice relaxing sea lapping the shoreline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back