**** DONE: 1/48 Bf109E-4 Kommandeur Hauptmann Hans von Hahn 1./JG3 Aug 1940 BoB GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ozhawk40

Master Sergeant
Username: Ozhawk40
First name: Peter
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model Type: Bf109E-4
Details: 1./JG3 France August 1940
Aircraft Assignment: Kommandeur Hauptmann Hans von Hahn
Accessories: None
Decals: Hasegawa​

Here we go again, again! Second build for this GB. This just has to be a '109. Well why not - everyone has one. This one is being built straight from the box with markings provided in the kit. I won't start until the Hurri is done, but that's not too far away.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• start 001 - resized.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 420
  • hasegawa paint instruct.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 765
  • Hans von Hahn pic.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 708
  • osprey profile.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 514
  • OleoBf109E-4JG3HansvonHahn.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
Nice one Peter. If you mess up on the decals (not that you will of course!), I still have the spare ones from my kit. I seem to remember it was a nice kit to build, but looking at it now, I notice the instrument panel has the small bomb selector/ arming panel on the bottom, which I forgot to remove at the time!

Cheers guys, I'm looking forward to it too.

Thanks for the offer T, it has been known to happen...err... more than once!8)

Cheers

Peter

Okay....

Progress at last.

Pic 1
Hasegawa prodie this photo-etch standard with the kit. It includes the radiator and oil cooler grills and the armour plate for the canopy.

Pic 2
I pre painted the inside of the radiator exits RLM65. I used Humbrol 65 which went on okay surprise.

Pic 3
Grills installed with CA glue.

Pic 4
The view from the front of the installed grills. The fit was very good and they look the part.

Pic 5
Once the grills are installed you can assemble the wings. Fit is great - no problems thus far.

Pic 6
Interior parts laid out. Reasonable level of detail, if a bit plain. I added dimples to the outer surface of the oxygen regulator.

Pic 7
Interior is painted mostly RLM02 which I made up using a mixture of tamiya paints. A 50/50 mix of XF22 and XF49. Instrument panel was painted and decal from Hasegawa added. I had designs of drilling out the hole pattern on the rudder pedals, but realised that is just would not be seen when assembled. I was not crazy about the detail for the seat belts moulded onto the seat, but left this also and I painted them Khaki with grey metal details.

Pic 8
Cockpit interior assembled and ready to fit to the fuselage.

Attachments

• wings assembled - resized.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 271
  • radiator exits 3- resized.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 267
  • radiator exits 2- resized.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 272
  • radiator exits - resized.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 253
  • photo etch 001 - resized.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 292
  • interior 001 - resized.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 248
  • interior 002 - resized.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 278
  • interior 004 - resized.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 243
I missed this announcement somehow. Nice start Peter.

I guess we're close to operational status now. We have enough 109's for 3 Schwarmen and a few spares to boot!

Thanks guys.

Moving right along...

Pic 1
Fuselage halves ready to go. Fit is good, but I'm not wild about the tail wheel as it strangely comes pre-attached to one half. Unusual. Weird.

Pic 2
Fuselage together with cockpit pod, wings and tail feathers added. I've painted the leading edge slat area RLM02.

Pic 3
I took a leaf out of Wayne's book and added the panel line top and bottom. Even used Wayne's method but it failed - too much glue! Still, a bit of a run with the scribing tool sorted it out nicely.

Pic 4
Drilled out the cannon and machine gun barrels. Trickiest bit so far. I'm glad that's over with.

Pic 5
Progress with the prop. Blades are black/green, but look darker in the photos

End of update.8)

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• barrel drilled - resized.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 250
  • fuselage 003 - resized.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 204
  • fuselage 002 - resized.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 211