**** DONE: 1/48 Bf109F-4 J.Steinhoff - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Also sarcastically known as the "center of the universe" by any Canadian not living there.

Anyway, thanks for all your good wishes guys. I'm now back and spent a bit of time today completing some bits and pieces. First, the hatch behind the pilot's seat was completed. After the plastic card was smoothed down and the stretched sprue hinge was scored with a knife, the area received a coat of 66 and then a PE strap was added.

Here's the prop and spinner. I had contemplated masking the white area but noticed in many reference pics that the white portion looked roughly sprayed in real life so I did the same with the airbrush.

Finally, I have finished the inside of the cowl that will be seen in the open position. Unfortunately there's no "before" pic but you can imagine the entire area being flat. The details were added by forst thinning the plastic significantly and then adding the stiffening ribs and supercharger intake details. I'll still need to add the opened snap fasteners which hung loose when the cowl was opened. Pics when I get to that.

Thanks for looking in everyone.

Yep, the hatch was on all '109s, with a couple of exceptions. It was a small compartment where the inertia starter crank handle was normally stowed, and also allowed access to the top of the fuel tank. Exceptions where those later machines towards the end of the war which had a battery box built out from here, protruding in to the cockpit, behind the hood armour.

Users who are viewing this thread