**** DONE: 1/48 EC Tiger ARH - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

saw that 'James Bond' Tiger on the set of 'Golden Eye'. Although a real one was used for the flying sequences, the ground shots were a full-size working model, and very impressive!

Yeah, it wasn't bad. I was on the set for early two weeks, but I didn't get to see the entire movie for about two years!
The interesting thing, from my point of view, was the location, at Leavesden. The main hangar, where some of the scenes were shot, and all the vehicles stored, was where Mosquitos were built during WW2, and I suddenly realised, when standing on the balcony of one of the raised office 'cabins', that I was at the same spot where a well-know photo of Mossies under construction had been taken.

Yeah, it wasn't bad. I was on the set for early two weeks, but I didn't get to see the entire movie for about two years!
The interesting thing, from my point of view, was the location, at Leavesden. The main hangar, where some of the scenes were shot, and all the vehicles stored, was where Mosquitos were built during WW2, and I suddenly realised, when standing on the balcony of one of the raised office 'cabins', that I was at the same spot where a well-know photo of Mossies under construction had been taken.

What did you do on the set Terry?

Speaking of which...they were filming 'Die Hard 5' here for over 3 months, just recently finished. I live in the flightpath to Budaors airport, so had the camera helo buzz the house regularly. Don't know what the film itself will be like, but the Hungarian Air Force performed possibly their last Mi 24 Hind mission for the film, which also did some great beat ups on the Danube to my delight - should be some great footage!

Sound good Evan. On the set, me and a mate took down three Chieftains, which we'd modified to look like Russian tanks, and were going to be used by us for part of a business venture, along with another 3, plus lots of other APCs (long story)
The director wanted to use them in the 'tank chase' sequence, as they looked more 'up to date' than the T-55s or T-62s they'd got from the Russian government reserve stock, but Barbara Broccoli, in charge of the budget, said 'No', as they couldn't go back to St. Petersburg, or even re-shoot on the mock 'St. Petersburg' on the airfield, as they'd already gone over budget. The 'T-94s', as we called them, ended up being used as 'set dressing' in the scene where Bond crashes through the window, jumps into the tank park, and steals a tank.

Last edited:
Great stuff Terry, I remember the scene!
(Barbara Broccoli eh? Poor lass!! :) )

(Apologies Vic for hijacking the thread!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back