**** DONE: 1/48 F-101B Voodoo – The Jet Age.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
Username: Vic Balshaw
First name: Vic
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Monogram 5811

Extras: Eduard: ED48394 detail set, EX108 Mask and ED MR48041 pitot head. Eagle Strike 48236 decal set.

Not sure how I'll go with this one, It's more about me trying to spur myself on a bit by entering the GB. Also unsure of how it will finish as my intention was to do a 444th Squadron US Air Force who had the Voodoo from 1960 through to 1968 when they were disbanded ("inactivated" to my brothers up north across the big pond).

I also am being drawn to do the Canadian version though the decal sheet is somewhat yellowed and even after treatment, could prove troublesome. However, the Canadians were a large user of the Voodoo, receiving some 56, F-101B and 10, F-101F in exchange for taking responsibility of the northern based early warning radar sites. The CF-101B began Canadian service in mid 1961 and with upgrades and exchanges from the US, served well into the 1980's. To my mind this makes then more worthy of a remembrance model than their southern cousins who had a much greater and more versatile arsenal in service through the 60's, 70's and 80's.

20150623 a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love that VooDoo you do so well. I have quite a bit of ref material on the subject. There is a quite a bit of after market markings. I know you want a Canadian bird. I have some original decals for it and if you change yormind I have multiple sets of Caracal US Air National Guard markings to include the Texas, Oregon, and Mane units. D&sF-101 and Airfax books plus others.

Nice Vic. Leading Edge makes RCAF decals though I haven't been able to access the site for two days. There is a sheet on eBay.ca for 30$CAN/free shipping, a tax steep. If you do choose the RCAF route, I can send you some photos and markings/painting guides if you like.

Geo

Nice one Vic, and great to see you back. I remember these birds at UK airshows in the late '50s/early '60s, with a blue, star-spangled tail fin, but can't remember the unit.
I think 'Cannuck Decals' do a sheet for RCAF Voodoos, from memory.

Many thanks Guys and an extra big thanks for all the kind offers and the help. I've a feeling we'll get through with the aged decals as I did a little test run after treating them with a couple of coats of Liquid Decal Film. The test run seems to have worked out fine, so at the moment I figure were going Canadian, but I think I'll give that black job a miss Michael.

Nice Vic. Leading Edge makes RCAF decals though I haven't been able to access the site for two days. There is a sheet on eBay.ca for 30$CAN/free shipping, a tax steep. If you do choose the RCAF route, I can send you some photos and markings/painting guides if you like.

Geo

George, if you have anything that shows the internal colouring of wheel bay's or air intakes for the Canadian fleet, that would be great. I know you're currently at camp, so no rush, in the meantime I'll email you my new email address.

I was wondering about that Cory as I saw somewhere that some of the US user units had removed the anti-collision strips. So thanks for that, you saved me a red face!

"WOW" George, brilliant stuff, thanks a bunch. I had looked at the AWA site and for some reason missed this one on the link. Obviously not my usual methodical self.

I owe you one mate.

Made a little start today by adding a bit of PE to the main wheel inner doors and have drilled out the internal ribbing which forms part of the main wing inboard flaps.

20150625 b.jpg

Also checked out how the test decal went, this kit was produced in early 1980, I got it second hand in a very battered box and no plastic wrap for the sprue or decals. So I'm quite pleased this test decal has hit the bed looking reasonable.

20150625 a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back