**** DONE: 1/48 F-101B Voodoo – The Jet Age.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hard to satisfy that most demanding critic... ourselves! I thought it looked ok but if ain't right to you, it ain't right.

Thanks for the vote of confidence folks, I'm not sure I'll be able to live up to such accolades. Truth be known, I'm not sure what to do about the wheel bay wiring, I've had another go at doing something but am still not satisfied with the outcome. Maybe again tomorrow.

In the meantime, the cockpit is almost finished, all the fiddly bits are done, but a dry fit shows a huge gap behind the Radar Scope which can be fixed. Anyway folks, here's a couple or so pics

20150702 a.jpg

20150702 b.jpg

20150702 c.jpg

20150702 d.jpg

20150702 e.jpg

Vic, I feel your dilemma. Like you, I have a desire to replicate as much detail as possible and have found that there comes a point where one needs to weigh that desire against other things that are important to your enjoyment of the hobby. I know that, given your talents, you could spend a year on getting all the details right and some guys do that and create incredible work. However, that needs to be weighed against just how much time one wants to devote to a given project. Never an easy debate, but in my case, making more models of different subjects tends to trump making a single subject with tons of detail. My foray into the OOB world in the unofficial GB was actually quite enjoyable once I learned to accept that not everything will be there that I know should be there.

Good luck with the musings!

Edit: And, by the way, we have an RCAF Voodoo parked at a nearby museum not a half hour's drive away. Let me know if there are any pics I can get for you.

Last edited:
Many thanks guys and thank you Andy for the words of wisdom, very much appreciated. As a consequence, the wheel bays are sealed up and forgotten and it's time to move on. Also thanks for the offer of pics from your local Voodoo, but I reckon I'll be okay as George kindly sent me a stack of info and a great link for detail.

Nice work on the cockpits there Vic.
And well said Andy.
I've just been musing on a similar dilemma - what to add, and what not to add, to a 1/48th scale Lancaster.
As some things would be visible by their omission, they need to be added to make the model look 'right'. But the detail areas on some of these items will, at best, be difficult to see and, in some cases, impossible to see.
An example is the W/Op's position and the main spar - if it's left out, the 'emptiness' will be discernible through the main canopy, but if it's included, then major modifications will be required to the kit parts, particularly the way the wings are fitted, the latter involving the fabrication of wing spars, and the inclusion of an internal, 'scale' main spar and frames, with fuselage frames and stringers virtually throughout.
It looks like I'll have to tackle this, which will lead to the addition of further internal detail, which again, would be noticeable by their omission.
But, in areas which will definitely not be seen, such as the wheel bays (the model will be fixed to a diorama base), I don't think it's worth the time, effort and, in my case, discomfort, in adding loads of fine detail which will be hidden until the end of time !
On the other hand, I'd quite like to add some working, internal lighting, in order to, literally, illuminate these detailed interior areas, but that would then result in even more work, adding even more detail, and then having to route the wiring via a wheel bay, through a scale 'Trolley Ac' (with the the wiring hidden beneath the trolley), to run through a hole in the display base, under the base hidden from view, to an external power source!
It's one of the foibles of modelling I guess - where to start, what to add and, more importantly, when to stop (adding detail) !
Like Andy, I think I'd rather get a number of more than acceptable, virtually OOB models completed (i.e, with minimal additional detail, such as seat harnesses), than spend a year or more on just one model.

Many thanks for looking in guys and for all that sound advice and support.

My little hands have not been idle but it has been slow progress particularly as the instructions are somewhat evasive in parts and mistakes have been made. Anyway, the two halves are together with cockpit enclosed. There was also no mention of weights for the nose, but a quick check showed that nose sitting stability could be an issue, so to be on the safe side, a few balls of lead were fitted.

20150707 a.jpg

The inner flap is quite well detailed as was the roof of the wheel bay.

20150707 b.jpg

For the airbrakes, I've dug into the PE, there are so much more detailed.

20150707 c.jpg

Next is the rotatable weapons bay which I believe would house a couple of Genie nuclear rockets and a couple of Falcon rockets within the aircraft body

20150707 d.jpg

The model also makes provision for two long range fuel tanks (included in the kit) and so bloody great holes in which to house them. I'm not putting the tanks on, so have plugged the holes with some tapered sprue.

20150707 e.jpg
20150707 f.jpg

I've now attached the main wings to the body, not an easy exercise, and a few seams need attention. Pics tomorrow……………………..maybe!

Thanks for stopping by folks.

Here is the beast as it stands at the moment, I've been playing with the fin navigation lights, there was just a lump of plastic representing the twin lights housed behind a clear glass. So it's been removed and I'm currently in the process of fashioning a new bit in clear plastic.

20150709 a.jpg

20150709 aa.jpg

Time for the scalpel. Not listed in my intro, I picked up a nose avionics resin kit last week. What follows is the carving out of the radome to house the avionics.

20150709 b.jpg

20150709 c.jpg

20150709 d.jpg

I decided to enclose the area around the avionics to replicate a true nose bay full of gubbins. Will give it a spray with chromate green tomorrow and then start work on the detailing.

20150709 e.jpg

20150709 f.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back