**** DONE: 1/48 Fiat G.55S Torpedo Fighter - Mediterranean Theater of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Replacement decals enroute... thinking Wednesday ETA. Cutting it close but I should be able to wrap this by the deadline.

It feels like I've been in a holding pattern for ever on this build. The GB deadline is just around the corner and I've yet to receive my wing decals. I was hoping for delivery yesterday but it looks like today will be the day. Hopefully I'll be able to put the finishing touches in time!

To speed things up, I've given the bottom a pastel panel wash.
IMG_7828_zpsag3ruord.jpg

Had some issues removing the wash this time. Every once in a while, the edges of the wash will stain and be hard to remove. This resulted in more aggressive wiping and even some touch-up paint, making the effects of the wash less noticeable. This is not going to be a heavily weathered model due to the plane not seeing actual service so I'm ok with the results.
IMG_7829_zps67delmcn.jpg

Exhaust stains were airbrushed in 3-4 steps starting with a broad brown base. A little bit of black is added to the mix with each step and sprayed in a ever tighter pattern. The trails get shorter and darker, ending with black.
IMG_7830_zps09pazuo8.jpg

IMG_7831_zpsetpxaqi8.jpg

The exhaust pipes are finally snapped into their troughs. Fit was very tight and permanent without glue... no way to get these out now.
IMG_7832_zpst8jixomj.jpg

During the weathering process, the usual snapping of fiddly bits occurred including the tiny glass elements of the gunsight and the long tail wheel. I will not attempt reattachment until weathering is finished.

Thanks Dave! It's one of those tricky little deals at the end of build that can make/break a model IMO. The wing root can be a difficult area to lay down a smooth exhaust track and you have to make sure that your strokes are unimpeded BEFORE the paint starts flowing. It can also be difficult mirroring similar curves on both sides. My natural and smoothest stroke is going left to right so I'll paint the exhaust on the port side with model facing me right side up but will flip the model upside down for the starboard side. I've learned to use highly thinned paint in all aspects of my work... it may take more time but it goes on finer and you have more leeway when it comes to an errant spray.

Finally got my top wing decals in the post yesterday. I ransacked EBay looking for the cheapest 1/48 Italian fasces, ideally from a California seller to speed up delivery. Found this set 109 set from Sky Model and will only use the two decals... seems like a waste but it will go in the spares box.
IMG_7844_zpss2g1exjf.jpg

Decal locations have been prepped long in advance so it is just a matter of sliding them on and doing the Microset/Microsol thing.
IMG_7846_zpsleyl82ao.jpg

We are definitely close to completion now. After weathering the top, one more thing remains... attaching the torpedo!
IMG_7847_zpspiho9ciy.jpg

This took a while. Attachment is via four microscopic points of photoetch to the fuselage bottom... no locating pins or slots. I was having a hard time of it, eventually butchering the fine PE harness and marring the finish of the torpedo. Had to resort to the trusty Coke can and cut out a replacement harness. I made it a little wider than the PE piece to help with attachment and to cover up the previous damage on the torpedo. It's not the securest connection but I got it done...
JTK_4886_zpsdf9uzt9v.jpg

Whew... that done, I put the finishing touches on this Torpedo fighter by attaching the vac canopy and pitot tube and adding an aerial of fishing line. The Silurante is now complete! Here are some photos with the good camera to chew on. Finished post and pictures will be added soon!

JTK_4913_zpssblenlx1.jpg

JTK_4902_zps3ffbuxwc.jpg

JTK_4915_zpstu8hf76i.jpg

JTK_4907_zps2lt5afyr.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back