**** DONE: 1/48 Gloster Gladiator I - From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff Vic. That's the MkII panel I believe - if you need it, I have a very good colour shot of the MkII cockpit, the panel of which, and some detail areas, differ from the MkI.

Dam and blast Terry, you're so right, I went back to check my references and I have two cockpit layouts which do differ considerably. The kit panel is for a MK.II being sold as a Mk.I kit, now all I've got to do is make my own Mk.I panel from scratch, which is a shame as I was progressing so well with the kit panel.

Also, thanks also for the offer but I'll be okay as I do have a very clear sketch of the Mk.I panel and should (tongue in cheek), be able to make a good go of it.

Oh no mate, it's a Mk.I and already thought out in the mind as to how to scratch one up. Looking forward to the challenge and you know what a glutton I am for punishment.

Thought you'd say that! I'll see if I have any photos, to go with the drawing in the SS book.
EDIT: Just found a cracking, large colour pic of the Shuttleworth Collection Mk1 - which appears to have a MkII panel !
Wonder if they were upgraded, or if this was a later mod some time in this particular aircraft's life?
If you think it will be useful, let me know and I'll photograph the print - it's too big for the scanner!

Last edited:
Thought you'd say that! I'll see if I have any photos, to go with the drawing in the SS book.
EDIT: Just found a cracking, large colour pic of the Shuttleworth Collection Mk1 - which appears to have a MkII panel !
Wonder if they were upgraded, or if this was a later mod some time in this particular aircraft's life?
If you think it will be useful, let me know and I'll photograph the print - it's too big for the scanner!

Thanks again for the offer Terry, but I think we'll be right.

Thanks for looking in folks and if you are following recent comments from me old pall Terry, we could possibly have a kit problem with it having a Mk.II instrument panel in what is being sold as a Mk.I kit. As pointed out though by Terry, the later Mk.I aircraft could have been upgraded at factory level, though I have found no reference to this so far.

This means that all my work on the Mk.II panel was really for zilch, but not to worry, for all I have to do is scratch build a new panel. Follows are a couple pics of today's efforts of this panel in the making.

20121201-1d.jpg

20121201-1e.jpg

20121201-1g.jpg

Have also been chipping away with the engines, for both Gauntlet and Gladiator. First pic shows the Gauntlet at the top which is a resin engine and just needs cleaning up and painting. The Gladiator is a different kettle of fish, it coming in a fist full of parts and needing assembling with a bit of PE added.

20121201-1a.jpg

After a touch of Paint to both we have something close to the finished product but I'm none too happy with the cowling ring colour . I want the colour to be a deeper bronze and not look as though it's on an AOCs inspection.

20121201-1c.jpg

Will concentrate on the panel again tomorrow, home chore permitting.

Fantastic work Vic!!!

Don't know what you use, but when I did my '1/72 Swordfish, I sprayed the ring in a base coat of Humbrol 33 Matt Black, then sprayed misty coats of 55 Bronze over it till I got that deep tone of bronze many aircraft seemed to have. Idea still needs development...maybe colours sprayed in reverse order to provide a more overall tone?

Pic taken in macro under artificial light. Dots of bronze not so obvious in normal viewing and light conditions.

STA50847.JPG

Last edited:
I sit here and think "all is well" with what we build, then we get someone who "knows", and spots the difference. And the world is right again.
Nice pick-up Terry, sometimes we rely on you doing the Spotting for us. This is the very reason mechanical drawings should always be Checked by other than the drafter.
And Vic, my man, sooooo nice with the new panel. And I had a clear panel for my F3F.
Great start mate.

Bl**dy nice work on the panel there Vic! For varying shades of bronze on exhaust collector rings, I normally use copper, mixed with Dark Earth, and a spot of black if required, and red if needed to get a different tone. The final finish is done using a suitable clear coat, gloss to semi gloss, depending on polished, dull etc.

Last edited:
Just a question guys - have ya's had any trouble posting recently?

Replied to Vic's last post here, before Wayne's. Hit the 'post quick reply', everything ok (or so I thought). Looking again now, it's gone.
Had this happen quite often - my mistake/our laptop, or have you guys had the same trouble??

What I had written was that I'm keen to see how your Vallejo bronze mix works out Vic. Got a few Bristol Hercules/ Pegasus engined birds in the stash, so need to find an 'ideal' mix.

Happened a month or so ago Evan. I would post something and it wouldn't be there. I would log out, log back in and presto, comment appeared.

Geo

Sometimes I don't trust my mitts on my laptop. I've often brushed the touchpad accidentally and deleted stuff or entered stuff or God knows what else. I've not noticed anything odd in recent posts though but I can offer up that I've often hit the "Back" key before the "Post Quick Reply", thinking that I've already posted.

Just a question guys - have ya's had any trouble posting recently?

Replied to Vic's last post here, before Wayne's. Hit the 'post quick reply', everything ok (or so I thought). Looking again now, it's gone.
Had this happen quite often - my mistake/our laptop, or have you guys had the same trouble??

What I had written was that I'm keen to see how your Vallejo bronze mix works out Vic. Got a few Bristol Hercules/ Pegasus engined birds in the stash, so need to find an 'ideal' mix.

No problems with me either Even, only finger trouble.

As for the colours to obtain what I'm looking for on the bronze rings, tried loads of stuff yesterday and still not satisfied and I didn't take to mush notice of what I was doing, silly me. But I will on the next go, though this may not be for a few days as I've errands to run and as of 7:00am this morning, a delivery of mulch to lay in the garden.

Cheers guys. Yeah, some cases could well be finger trouble - no mouse, so I use the laptop touchpad which is a little sensitive at times.
There's been a couple of times though where I'm positive it was in there, as I reread the posted comments to double check for mistakes.
Will keep a closer eye on it from now on anyway to see what the story is...

Hope you get your bronze mix sussed Vic, going to try Terry's myself next time I break out the airbrush.

No problems here Evan, although I did experience something similar a couple of times about a week ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back