**** DONE: 1/48 HH-60H HS-4 - Home Country Modern Aircraft / Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Share that split pea soup with ham while we wait???????

Decals are-a-comin!
Bacon. Split-pea with Bacon, thats the secret to world class soup.
1 med onion, chopped fine
About 2 cups diced potatoes
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp paprika
1 clove garlic chopped fine
1 bag dried split peas (14 to 16 oz)
1 cup chicken broth
1 lb. lean bacon

Throw everything but the bacon in a big pot cover with water to about 3 times the height of the other stuff and bring to a low boil for about 3 hours, stir fairly often towards the end when it starts going mushy
Fry the bacon crisp as possible, then place between paper towels and crunch it up, remove all the fat pieces and feed to dog(s)
Add bacon when the concoction in the pot has gone to mush, and let simmer for about 1/2 hour. (If you can!)
Serve with croutons, shredded cheddar cheese, more bacon bits or simply crackers.
Prepare for gas. (My wife hates it when I feed it to her dogs)
Now...back to them decals!

Gonna try that one Paul - a bit different to normal pea ham soup. Getting near the time to make another couple of gallons of my home-made broth I think - and some peas pudding!
Oh, sorry - back to them there deecals!

Yep, the 'taters are for texture, the carrots for a bit of color, and everything else is "jest good eatin"!
I've never had anyone, even those that didn't like pea soup turn this down! Oh, and be sure to feed some to the dogs to mask... well,...the odor!
And back to the decals!
I got a great recipe for corn chowder too!!
And back to the decals! (really, I mean it this time!)

Last edited:
DECALS ARE ON THE WAY.......

I make my own clam chowder... simple recipe.... I'm from California around San Francisco.... of course I would gag for clam chowder, the white one!

Bugger the decals. I'll take clam chowder and ham and pea soup (not together) any day. And the sit outside for a time.

"Pass me a Tiger please"

Meat pie, mushy peas, mashed potatoes and gravy comin up!

You must think you're still in Bali...... but you did make it out alive, that's a plus.

Meat pie, mushy peas, mashed potatoes and gravy comin up!

You must think you're still in Bali...... but you did make it out alive, that's a plus.

No worries mate can get the pea n ham, Bintan and Tiger in Aldi this weekend. I'll be right!!

Turning my build into a cooking segment eh.
This is a scaled down version from my Gandmas, 1947 Boston Cooking Schools cookbook recipe.
This will get you by for your clam chowder fix.

1 large can of minced clams, save the liquid

2T butter
1 large onion, thin sliced
1 1-1/2" cube of fat salt pork, or 2 strips of bacon chopped.

2T flour
2C potatoes, cut into 1/2" (10mm) cubes
1/4t celery salt
2t salt
1/4t pepper
most of the liquid from the can, it's a to taste thing, about half to 3/4 of it.
2C water

3C scalded milk
2T more butter

1. Large kettle, melt butter, add onions and bacon (salt pork) and cook till onions are tender.

2. Add flour, potatoes, celery salt, salt, pepper, most of the clam juice, and water.
Cook covered for 10 - 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender, but not mushy!
You don't want mushy, they have to have some texture, but not crunch.

3. Add milk, clams and extra butter. Salt and pepper to taste if needed. Simmer 5 - 10 min.

Garnish, love that word, with them little Boston fish crackers if you can gettem.
Or even home made croutons. The best ones are toasted bread slices with a bit of cheese melted on top under the griller.

Last edited:
Turning my build into a cooking segment eh.
This is a scaled down version from my Gandmas, 1947 Boston Cooking Schools cookbook recipe.
This will get you by for your clam chowder fix.

1 large can of minced clams, save juice

I read to this part and quit.

Actually, that recipes looks pretty good and have give it a try.

Changed it to "liquid"....
If you've never tried clam chowder, I think you will be surprised.......
At Fisherman's Wharf in S.F. it's often served in a scooped out round loaf of sour dough bread.
In fact I would suggest having sour dough bread with the chowder....

YUM!

No decals yet.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back