**** DONE: 1/48 Lockheed Ventura - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking good George. As for the crank casing, personally I would tend towards black although looking around the internet, most are in a nice gloss grey, so go with your gut feeling.

Good stuff Geo. The crankcase on most American and British radials was a medium grey colour - the blue tone seen in some colour photos is a result of lighting, exposure, or processing (if a film original), or sometimes anomolous reflection.

Great work so far Geo. The glazing looks real nice. Can't help with your questions unfortunately but I ca give you lots of encouragement!

Mucho gracias, mes frères. Engines are painted and drying, and the last of the clear parts are glued into the right fuselage half and drying. The fuselage should be together tonight with, dare I say it, minimal filler. What will be added will be from self infliction. The attachment points on the wings and fuselage are very large compared to the rest of the parts and I can't find my razor saw so I used side cutters. Photos later.

Geo

It's later and not as much accomplished as I thought. A rare wild head-ache appeared and I crashed early. Every review and build of this kit mentions the mis-shaped propellers. Doing some research, I found that the blades are 10'7" long and the B-25 used the same propeller. I have a flak damaged(88mm tennis ball)Monogram B-25 so I grabbed the props and did a side by side. My prop blades are 31mm long and the B-25's are 36mm. I'll do the maths and see which is closer but I would value some opinions.
EDIT: Did some maths, and I came up with 33.6mm for the scale diameter.....awesome.

004.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

001.JPG

And finally. Seriously, Revell. In this day and age.....

003.JPG

Geo

Last edited:
Great detective work, and good work on the model so far Geo. Those B-25 props should do the trick.
Wouldn't you think Revell/Monogram would put those copyright marks on the inside surfaces? At least they always seem to be on the underside of one of the tail planes, and slice off easily enough, requiring minimal sanding, but still an unneccessary pain !

Just noticed - it's moulded in Korea. Revell AG normally used to mould their own, as did Revell USA. More and more kits seem to be coming out of the same factory as the Academy stuff these days!

After studying photos of the real props and comparing both sets I have, neither is correct but the kit props are correcter. The real props are wider near the hub so no matter what I did to the B-25 props it would look worse so I'll just leave well enough alone. Off to camp now. Have a nice rest of your week everyone.

Geo

Have a good week at camp Geo. There's a set of after market resin props for the kit, but with the extra cost, and waiting for them to arrive, is it worth the hassle?
Unless they look very wrong, personally I'd leave as is, and live with 'em.

Back from camp and catching up but first, a little aside about the company I work for. We are getting new digital 2-way radios installed in all the equipment as the analog ones suck, the digital ones sucking just a little less. There are many buttons and features on the new radios but no training or operating manuals were provided. Buddy took it upon himself to go online and find a PDF of the manual and what he found on Pg. 33 stunned him. The company now has the ability, via the microphone, to remotely listen in on anything that is said in the equipment cabs with no indication that it is happening. Awesome....Anyhoo, painting the lil bits and adding putty to the fuselage. This isn't really needed but I am continually trying to get a seamless model, always close but never perfect. I do have to add it to the wings where the attachment points were due to their size and my inability to find my razor saw.

001.JPG

Shown is what the real prop looks like compared to the kit part and the B-25 prop.

007.JPG
workmen-spin-propeller-pv-1-stefan-kuhn.jpg

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back