**** DONE: 1/48 Lockheed Ventura - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The fuselage is looking good Geo. I see the real prop has slightly broader chord, and wider at the root, but to be honest, the kit parts won't look out of place - unless an anorak wearing, rivet counting pixie happens to call in at your place!

Thanks all. Appendages are on without a hitch though the tail planes need to be sanded down a tad at the attachment point as the assembly stand a bit proud of the fuselage. I really hate that the clear parts have to be attached prior to painting with the exception of the clear nose piece, which will, of course, be painted over. More photos later.

003.JPG

Geo

Wheels and cowling are painted and I'm looking for my liquid mask as I don't want to take a chance with masking tape and popping the windows back inside.
002.JPG

I read somewhere that Future makes a good primer so I put some on one drop tank as a test. Why am I telling you this. I'll tells ya why...I read the article about the paint scheme wrong. I thought I was going to do a Temperate Sea Scheme with Sky. No....it's freakin' Coastal Command color with freakin' great whacking gobs of "I Hate Freakin' White" white. But I digress. So far, everything has fit like a glove. Those who have followed my previous group builds know that I tend to add a wee bit of filler and this is a real treat.

Geo

I agree. Looking great Geo. Are you airbrushing the white or using a hairy stick? Of the latter, I wish you luck. If the former, spray on a light coloured primer first then apply the white in several very thin coats.

Undercart looks good Geo. If spraying white, I normally spray matt white as an undercoat, then two, possibly three coats of gloss white, as the gloss has better 'depth'.

Andy, Terry, still using a brush I fear, but I swear, once #1 daughter get relocated, I am going to learn to use an airbrush. The size of this model, with vast chunks of plastic to be painted white is the deal breaker.The photos I've found of the RCAF aircraft show the rear tunnel guns to stowed or non existent. I'm going to assumed stowed. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Just found out the fuel tanks were painted in the USN tri colors.

Geo

No problem using a brush George - I still brush-paint around 50% or more.
Use the same sequence, with a slightly thinned coat of matt white as a primer, which, if needed, can be very lightly sanded when fully dry, then a couple of coats of gloss white. Thin the first gloss coat by around 10% thinner, and the second coat with just a drop of thinner, probably less than 5%. This is if using enamels - for acrylics, which don't take too kindly to brushing, you might need to increase the thinning slightly, by trial and error.
The desired finish can, of course, be achieved by the required clear coat.

Thanks Wayne. Fiddling around with getting the bomb bay doors to fit in the closed position as they are a tad wider in length. Sand and test, sand and test, but better too long than too short. Good stuff Terry, thanks.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back