**** DONE: 1/48 Lockheed Ventura - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very nice Geo!

I would agree with Paul too. From experience so far, on such projects in future (including my own Ventura), I will be airbrushing any joins or small details in White first, then going over the whole surface with Tamiya (White) Primer.
Their White primer is better than their Matt White (TS27) IMO, with no problems glossing, decaling, and matting.
Haven't had much success so far airbrushing large areas in White, that seems better for interiors and smaller details (wheel hubs, spinners etc)

Thanks for the input gentlemen, spray bomb it is. Bomb bay is finally closed and I'll run a plastic strip down to seal the gap when I get back from camp. Going to check my books just to make sure there is no gap as it seems odd that this is the only ill fitting area.

002.JPG

Geo

Keep the gap Geo, it is correct!

Wanted to digitally photograph a manual photo I took of MoTaT's RB-34 Lexington to show, but too shiny finish, you'd only see me taking the pic!The kit is correct however.

A little yes, but acceptable I think. Certainly be bloody difficult at this stage to get it 'exact'...

Here's a quick sketch of the photo I took btw, the gap is very obvious:

STA52997.JPG

A bang up job onner so far. I've always thought this and the PV-2 were such nice looking aircraft. I got to sit in the electric top turret of Lacey's PV-2 before it was finished. It was at the Hamilton Air Base in Marin Co many years ago.

Keep up the good work.

Very nice George. And I agree about the spray can. If you don't get an airbrush before then use a spray can. I never could brush white or yellow worth a d@mn and use the airbrush even for small stuff.

Thanks all. The votes have been tallied and it's a spray-bomb by a landslide. All the holes are taped up to protect the innards and I'm going with liquid mask to minimize the risk of popping the windows in than if I were to try and use tape on them. Notice I said minimize. Somehow, during handling, the dome popped out. Not in, but out. I did a quick check, and if I use angled tweezers attached to a clamp and everything is gently slotted through the upper gunners position, and the super glue doesn't set while I'm doing all this, there shouldn't be any problems. I'm going to dip the dome once more in Future to ensure the glue doesn't attack it. And yes, I noticed, the starboard wheel well isn't quite done with the masking yet. Damn photos. I'm also gonna hit the windows with one more coat of liquid mask.

003.JPG

Geo

Looking good Geo. I presume you mean the astrodome? Can this not be fitted externally, after painting, ? Seems strange that it fits from the inside.

All the "glass" fits into slots before the fuselage is joined, Terry; landing lights recognition lights etc. I was leary(up yours, spellcheck) about gluing the astrodome in the first place and should have clear coated it and superglued it in. I have never liked this method of installing the glass early in the build but whaddayagunnado about it?

Geo

Last edited:
The only recent model I had with windows like that had them fitted from the outside like they should be - Accurate Miniatures Avenger.

Coming along nicely Geo and go easy with the rattle can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back