**** DONE: 1/48 Macchi C.200 - Mediterranean Theater of Operations (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you my friend. I don't know why manufacturers still do this at this stage of the build but after I glued it on, I realized I could have notched out the locator holes and installed the tail wheel later...

003.JPG

...I thought I dealt with all the attachment points. Notice the tail wheel is flattened in the manner of the main wheels, oh well. The fit of the wheel well insert is very positive.

002.JPG

Holding the fuselage in place while the cockpit tub sets up.

004.JPG

Geo

The two become one...

003.JPG

...waiting for the glue to cure, attach the elevators, and the paint can fly. Quick question or better still, observation from others. The profile photo on the opening page looks like a part of the cowling is left in the original underside camo. Thoughts?

Geo

Last edited:
Good progress George. I don't know the answer to your question as I don't know much at all about the type. I suppose it might be possible that a damaged panel was replaced with a day fighter-painted one.

No answer from me either George but like the work thus far.And as for some of the reviews I read as so-so they seem to be wrong for she(kit) seems popular and going together well.:thumbright:

Thanks guys. Slow going right now, it's flu fighting season. Anyhoo....who would have thought an aircraft with one color would drive me nuts. Trolling around the interwebs looking for anything to do with the color lamp black and it seems the color was similar to RLM66, close to the color to the right of the fuselage stripe or perhaps the front is just more faded than the rear...

gb24.jpg

...and then darker black behind the stripe and covering the insignia, other markings and at various spot on the aircraft. As the lamp black seems to be fragile, I'm thinking the top camo might show through in places of heavy traffic, though not as stark as rendered here(the darker grey is supposed to be green...hey, I'm sick)...

003.jpg

Thoughts?

Geo

Last edited:
Not too bad methinks. But maybe using of small pieces of a sponge instead of a brush can result in better appearence of these camo spots.

Oops, I should have mentioned the camo paint was done using Paint.net just to get the feel of it. I will definitely think about the sponge. I have a #4 round brush that I cut down to about 4mm for large dry brushing jobs that I was thinking of using.

Geo

It looks good George... some of the best brush work I've seen. I can't believe you don't use an airbrush! (That's a compliment!)

The first thing I thought of when mention was made of "lamp black" was that they applied some kind of pitch used for torches onto the plane. I have o idea if that's true or not.

Again, sorry that I wasn't clear that the preceding photo was done on a photoshop-like program. This is the fruit of my loins...

006.JPG

...please keep in mind that this will be coated in future, painted black and then lightly remove some of the black. I'm thinking most of it won't be seen. Most of the photos of this aircraft show ground crews around the port side so that's where I painted the most with only the wing root of the starboard side. Also a bit on the front of the elevators to account for prop wash. If I don't like it, it won't take much black paint to cover it.

Geo

Just another reason I love coming here. I feel like a young Luke Skywalker being schooled by numerous Yodas.

Outstanding effort and very creative as well.

Cheers,

Jeff

Thank you gentlemen. I couldn't find a suitable sponge so in the end used a "0" brush with about 3mm of bristle left, took off most of the paint and then dabbed it on. Next up, the cowling. Italeri decided 2 parts wasn't enough, so including the exhausts and collector ring, 13 pieces. Why they would have you add 6 cylinder bumps when 8 are already molded on is beyond me but the fit of these was outstanding.

002.JPG

Geo

Last edited:
Engine assembly and cowling look good as does the preliminary exterior painting. May I ask, George, why you don't use an airbrush? Is it a deliberate decision not to or you just haven't gotten around to getting one? Sorry if you had to explain all of this before!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back