**** DONE: 1/48 Me 262 B-1 - The Jet Age.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ohm-men

Senior Airman
Jan 11, 2014
Antwerp
User Name: Ohm-men
Name : Jerry
Category : Intermediate
Kit : Hobby Boss Messerschmitt Me 262 B1
Scale : 1/48
Accessories :none, gona build it straight from the box!

messerschmitt-me-262-b-1a-148-hobby-boss-20028-MLA20181753008_102014-F.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent! Since this will OOB, I assume that you will be doing one of the two included decal/paint schemes? I am considering doing a nightfighter and using this kit as a base.

Very cool Jerry. John, the night fighter version is on my list too. I have this one in the stash and you might be able to find one on ebay rather than try to build off this kit.

boxart.jpg

Thanks! Yes, I hope to use the kit decals. I want to do the box art version with he "arrow". I've seen a few pics of this actual bird. It seams there were not much pics taken from the "trainer" B variant during the later stage of the war.

Though a little scratch building seams to be in order for this kit.
It seams hobbyboss took the nightfighter as a base for the trainer version.
(the NF parts are included in this kit.)
But the second seat in the kit lacks the propper equimpent for the second pilot. There is only the radar operators console and no stick or rudder pedals included.

Ha, funny you mention the old DML Me 262 B "night fighter". This kit used to be the "bees knees" until the Hobby Boss release. Unfortunatly Tamiya never released the 2 seat variant.
But the Hobby Boss kit looks really good. (some sources claim it's the scaled down verion of trumpeter's 1/32 Me 262) I sure hope it does not have the fit issues of the DML kit...

Though I guess Hobby Boss will release a propper NF version as well.
most likely Kurt Welter's "red 10"...

Last edited:
Ah, He 111 is reaching the finishing stage, really looking forward to start this one. I hope to start cutting plastic next week!
Went over the sprues last night and I mut say, this is a really nice looking kit. Surface detail looks quiet impressive. I hope the kit builds up nicely...

Okay, due to life getting in the way, I just started yesterday on the Me 262B trainer...
And prommesing this would be a "build straight from the box", It won't be possible.
After a visit to my good friend and superb modeller Bart, I knew I was in for some extra work...

The main problem is that Hobby Boss (just like Dragon in the past) just boxed a Me 262 B1/U night figher as a trainer.
For instance, the Nightfighter back seat compartment was much smaller then the trainer, since it carried an 800L tank aft of the radar operator. Something the trainer did not have. Second Trumpeter included only radio/Radar gear for the back seat. So a lot is missing.
But Bart came to the resque, once again, providing me with leftover Dragon Me 262 parts and loads of pics and documentation of the actual Luftwaffe Jet Trainer!

So here we go;

IMAG0229.jpg

IMAG0230.jpg

IMAG0231.jpg

IMAG0232.jpg

IMAG0233.jpg

IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0235.jpg

IMAG0236.jpg

IMAG0237.jpg

As you can see in the captured trainer, the back seat is further aft then the Nightfighter one. Also the dashboard/Instrument pannel, rudder pedals, Fuse box, etc...

So, here's what I did, mating the Dragon parts on the Hobby boss interiour to get a correct one for the Trainer.
some cutting and filing

DSCF3249.JPG

DSCF3251.JPG

Once installed;

DSCF3245.JPG

DSCF3248.JPG

DSCF3253.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
....The main problem is that Hobby Boss (just like Dragon in the past) just boxed a Me 262 B1/U night figher as a trainer.
For instance, the Nightfighter back seat compartment was much smaller then the trainer ...

To be honest the main dimensions of the rear cockpit were the same both for the B-1a and the B-1a/U1. Just the layout of it was adjusted to the new stuff there. The B-1a and the B-1a/U1 had the same fuel tank arrangement what means that the rear main and auxiliary fuel tanks were replaced by smaller, flat 400l one and 260l one. Contrary to that the B-2a plane had the fuselage extended. Two plug sections were fitted fore and after of the two-seat cockpit , extending the fuselage by 1,2m. This provided the space to restore the standard main and auxiliary fuel tanks of 900l and 600l that were deleted in the B-1a training version.

Me-262 training_NF.jpg

Me-262 training_NF_a.jpg

Last edited:
Wurger, you are correct. It's just that Hobby Boss provided a shorter second cockpit as the Fuellcell is just a flat plate with a filler cap that needs to be glued on top of the shorter second cockpit (it stops aft of the radar operators seat). Therefor I had to use the Dragon pit to replace the shorter Hobby Boss part, also the Hobby Boss floor would be to hard to adjust for rudder pedals as it's clearly made for the NF.
I've cut the flat plate with the fuller cap of the piece provided by Hobby Boss as the slanted part aft is still needed to close the spine aft of the transparancy. Though, there are some small differences between the Me 262 B1a and the later build Avia S-92.

It's a bit of surgery. But it will provide a somewhat more correct trainer.
The U1a also had 3 x4 flare shutes aft of the 2nd seat, where the 1a just had 1x 4 flare shutes. (esay dealth with some filler.)

Though, one more question. Hobby Boss provides 2 drop tanks for the trainer (as shown on the bos art) but I've seen no pics yet of the trainer with these mounted. So I wonder if they used them or even had the hardpoints, full lines installed for them?
(I think the model would look nice with these installed, though)

It also seams that the trainers carried 4 Mk 103 cannons (as the pics show 4 muzzles)

But, I hope I can really get on with this kit to finish it in time....

According to a couple of references the B-1a trainig version got the two fuel tanks (each 300l) because of removing these standard fuselage ones and replacing with ones of smaller capacity due to the rear cockpit. These tanks were attached to the standard Wikingerschiff pylons under the forward fuselage in order to maintain the centre of gravity close to the orginal value. These were retained during flight. Because the B-1a/U1 "inherited" the fuel system of the B-1a these 300l fuel tanks could be attached there too. The B-2a retained them as well. So you may attach these fuel tanks methinks.

The armament was the 4xMK108 cannons, mostly.

And this may come in handy ... the B-1a cockpit ... pic source: the Internet.

Me-262B-1a cockpit.jpg

Thanks again Wojtek :)

Interesting detail on that last pic. Though it seams the instrument pannel is not installed in that pic, as I asume it would protuded a bit over the cockpit deck.

Nevertheless, I hope to get some more construction done this week and perhaps some painting as well.

Thanks again Wojtek :)

Interesting detail on that last pic. Though it seams the instrument pannel is not installed in that pic, as I asume it would protuded a bit over the cockpit deck.

Nevertheless, I hope to get some more construction done this week and perhaps some painting as well.

My pleasure. :D

Judging by that can be seen through the cockpit canopy I would say the shot was taken after the war ( please notice the car seen through the glass on left) . As a result the cockpit interior could have been incomplete at that time. However, I'm not sure if the instrument panel for the second cockpit protruded over the deck top line. The rear cockpit was of enough roomy for attaching of the panel more down than the pilot panel was. Unfortunately I haven't found any picture of the area to confirm my guess.

Last edited:
Well, I finally got some work done on th Me 262. I ran out of both RLM 02 and RLM 66 and I just did not want to make a run to the city to stock up some Model Master jars, so instead I went to the nearest toy store and bought some Revell paint jars. I mixed up the right shades and colours look fine.

Since I'm running out of time, but still wanting to finnish this kit within the given timeframe, I decided to speed things up a bit. So I started painting various bits and bobs while still atached to the sprue. We'll see how this pans out.

Hopefully after work I can start assembling and painting some details.
Pics to follow soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back