**** DONE: 1/48 Me 262 B-1 - The Jet Age. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the encouragement!
I've been busy...Here's some progress....

Undersides done;
DSCF3319.JPG

Sides done as well in RLM 76 + some pre shading for the top. I used another technique I picked up from another forum. Some kind of squigle pattern from RLM 66 and RLM 76 on top of the wings. I hope to put some RLM 82/83 over this base.
DSCF3315.JPG

DSCF3317.JPG

Still a few days to go and since Saturday is going to be a somewhat rainy day and tomorrow I only have to work a half day, I might pull this one off....

Last update for today. Looking at Hobby Boss suggestion for the camo, I kind of disagreed. Hobby Boss Suggests the lid war greens of RLM 74/75 over 76. Looking at other Kg 54 Me 262's, I concluded that the late war RLM colors of RLM 81/82 over 76 looked more appropriate.

So I laid on the first coat of Model Master's version of RLM 81. I added a bit of white for the scale effect. But since it's already late in the evening, I could only photograph the model under some artificial light. But I think the overall tone of Model Master's RLM 81 looks quiet good. Though it looks a bit too dark on the pics imho.

As shown on the photograph posted here by Wojtek, the Kg 54 trainer shows some tight mottle on the fuselage and engine nacelles . I tried to paint this as well and used my trusty Iwata airbrush for this. Next will be RLM 82, but this is for tomorrow....

DSCF3321.JPG

DSCF3323.JPG

DSCF3325.JPG

DSCF3327.JPG

For some reason the very near deadline for this group build kind of boosts my energy, which is a bit strange as deadlines always make me nervous....Though not this one ;)

Last edited:
Thanks! I hope it will look even better once I apply the other camo colour. Though I hope to tone down the pre shading on the wings a bit more as I assume the Me 262's weren't completely worn out during their operational use.
Though the Iwata airbrush is a great improvement over the Aztek A 470 I have. Still like the latter for overall painting as it quick and easy. But for detail work, nothing beats the Iwata. But it takes way more time to clean it.

Small change of plans. I'm gonna opt for the other decal option on HB's Me 262.
I hade some grief with the HB decals. I guess I just had a bad sample. I noticed some mat spots on the lightning bolts as if not enough decal carrier was on them. Unfortunately, this was the case, so the lightning bolts disintegrated upon contact with water...Luckily, I started with thise for decaling, so not much precious time was lost. Nevertheless I was a bit disappointed...

So, some measure had to be taken. So after a bit of tinkering, I'm gonna go with the III/EJG 2 option, "white 1" Less dazzling, due to the lack of the massive lighting bolt, but the lack of fuselage codes, a nice yellow band on the aft fuse and the "weise 1" make up for it.
Also, since I already swapped camo colors, my Me's colors were already closer to the latter option.
Stay tuned...

OK!!! I'm almost done. So a few quick pics. A few parts are still missing, but I'm off to bed now.
Tomorrow I have a IMPS modelling day and my club is attending this venue with a club stand/exhibition.
So I hope to put the finishing touches there and take some decant pics!

But just a few pics of how the Me 262 B1 looks now;
The decals proved quiet a handful...The III/EJG2 decals were usable, though not the best imho.
But since I had no other decals at my disposal, these had to do.
But for my next HB kit, I guess I buy some aftermarket decals.
I did have to alter my paintjob slightly, so I could go with the alternative version, as W.Nr.170014 look a bit different then W.Nr 170075. All this took more time then anticipated, so the rest is for another day.
Though I think I have a historical correct 262B1 with a full instructors second cockpit.
DSCF3331.JPG

DSCF3333.JPG

DSCF3335.JPG

DSCF3337.JPG

If I'm home in time tomorrow I post a "Done" thread...

Last edited:
Very nice !
A better choice of markings I think, and the subtle mottle looks excellent !
Looking forward to seeing the finished model, and have a good day at the IPMS meet.

And Done!!! I'll start a new thread, but this one is just to close this thread ;)
Thanks for all the kind comments! And in retrospect, I'm glad the "Blitz" decals went fubar.
This EJG2 "White 1" has really grown on me...I'm also very happy with the end result.
And I also have a feeling this build greatly enhanced my modelling skills and were a good test for the new Iwata airbrush...

DSCF3339.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back