**** DONE: 1/48 Me262A-1a KG(J)6 - Jet/Recon/Transport GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys, some more bits in the cockpit tub, I've decided to keep the eduard etch to a minimum on this one and run with most of what is in the kit...

Bit of fill along the edges of the consoles too....

Attachments

• 12_Cockpit Tub additions_3813.jpg
    12_Cockpit Tub additions_3813.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 201
  • 13_Cockpit Tub additions_3820.jpg
    13_Cockpit Tub additions_3820.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 202
Wayne

how do we know this 262 is from III. gruppe ? thought I would throw in the last CO of KG (J) 6, H. Hogeback. the chap had the most decorated crew in the LW all of his Ju 88/188 crew received the Ritterkreuz and Hogeback later received the Swords to his RK in January of 45 and flew everything the unit had in it's possession including the 262 while CO of Stab./KG 6 on ops till April of 45. My question is why the CO flew missions which were almost suicidal during the last days of the war instead of sitting on the ground doing admin work like most CO's of fighter/bomber units. just goes to show you the man had ballz........

am excited to see your finished work my friend ~

Attachments

• Hogeback2.JPG
    Hogeback2.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 233
noted Eagle-cals # 138-48 might be worth checking out for III.KG (J) 6 decals, but am sure Wayne you have doen so alaready.

an interesting bird flown by I think the only 262 jet ace in KG 6 was from 8th staffel RK winner Franz Gapp who shot down B-24's, 1 P-38 and probably some soviet fighters ? He flew Red 7.

Attachments

• 2_77.jpg
    2_77.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 214
I guess he flew because of the same reason Gabreski and some of the others flew when they really didn't need to do "another mission" because they enjoyed flying and they knew that they would most likley not receive another chance to do it again.

Wayne

how do we know this 262 is from III. gruppe ? thought I would throw in the last CO of KG (J) 6, H. Hogeback. the chap had the most decorated crew in the LW all of his Ju 88/188 crew received the Ritterkreuz and Hogeback later received the Swords to his RK in January of 45 and flew everything the unit had in it's possession including the 262 while CO of Stab./KG 6 on ops till April of 45. ........

So JV 44 wasn't the only "Squadron of Aces", huh? :)

possibly or because of where based the last days fought till the end flying against advancing Soviet forces like JG 7 jet pilots. notation: it appears the Gapp P-38 kill is bogus and should read 1 Soviet Pe-2. KG (J) 6 jet pilots evidently scored some success's against Soviet Jak's, La 5, 7's and 9 as well as low flying Il-2's. Just how many am not sure of ................... the units activities are not known well, though published in a 2 volume history by German author Jan Horn.

Chris not sure I would call KG 6 a squad of aces.......though some pretty highly decorated bomb er pilots and crews.......

Attachments

• GappF.jpeg
    GappF.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Wayne

how do we know this 262 is from III. gruppe ? thought I would throw in the last CO of KG (J) 6, H. Hogeback. the chap had the most decorated crew in the LW all of his Ju 88/188 crew received the Ritterkreuz and Hogeback later received the Swords to his RK in January of 45 and flew everything the unit had in it's possession including the 262 while CO of Stab./KG 6 on ops till April of 45. My question is why the CO flew missions which were almost suicidal during the last days of the war instead of sitting on the ground doing admin work like most CO's of fighter/bomber units. just goes to show you the man had ballz........

am excited to see your finished work my friend ~

Hi Erich, glad you have popped in, the JaPo volume on KG(J) units refers to yellow 3 and others as being from the III gruppe, documents pointing in this direction so went with the flow!

noted Eagle-cals # 138-48 might be worth checking out for III.KG (J) 6 decals, but am sure Wayne you have doen so alaready.

an interesting bird flown by I think the only 262 jet ace in KG 6 was from 8th staffel RK winner Franz Gapp who shot down B-24's, 1 P-38 and probably some soviet fighters ? He flew Red 7.

Got the decal set good sir! ...and will eventually try and do all of the KG(J) 262's on this sheet, especially Yellow 2 with its unique scheme, decided on this Yellow 3 first!
There are copies of Gaap's log book entries in the JaPo book to support his use of Red 7 primarilly and others as well.

You take care Erich, think about you regularly....as to how you're doing...

haven't had much time for modelling past few days, but i did fill the edges of the consoles with some strips of stretched sprue and then scraped them back and a bit of sanding to boot....to smooth out the edges...

Attachments

• 14_Cockpit edge fill_3833.jpg
    14_Cockpit edge fill_3833.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 15_Cockpit edge fill_3839.jpg
    15_Cockpit edge fill_3839.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 213
  • 15_Cockpit edge Fill_3860.jpg
    15_Cockpit edge Fill_3860.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 196
I like your approach of getting each major component set up and then doing the painting and detail. Least ways, that is what I assume you are doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back