**** DONE: 1/48 NA F-6B - Jet/Recon/Transport GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Spent a good part of the day masking, spraying, masking, spraying.....

What I'm trying to do is depict this aircraft after the upper D-Day markings were overpainted with fresh OD. The base color I used is a faded OD while the over painted areas will be straight OD where the white stripes were, and OD slightly darkened where the black stripes were. Even though it's not shown in any profile I've found I'm putting a single white stripe on each wing and horizontal tail because of the b&w photo in post #1. That picture is at a forward airfield in France after D-Day and it shows the white stripes on the 2 Allison Mustangs. I'll depict the stripes on the wings as the inner white stripe of the D-Day markings being left alone while the outer striped were overpainted.

Picture 1 The black stripes in the D-Day markings painted, then striped in preperation for the next step
P5189712.JPG

Picture 2
Neutral Gray sprayed and masking striped
P5189713.JPG

Picture 3
I painted the interior canopy frame color and did some more masking, this time for the white nose and white stripes on top of the wings and tail
P5189715.JPG

Picture 4
Base OD color after striping
P5189716.JPG

Picture 5
Masked and sprayed the lighter over-sprayed OD color where the upper D-Day markings use to be (on the real aircraft)
P5189717.JPG

Too tired to do any more tonight. Still have to do the darkened OD where the black stripes were overpainted on the real aircraft.

Last edited:
Good stuff Glenn. I don't know if it would be applicable to this particular aircraft, but quite often, the AEAF stripes on USAAF aircraft were over-painted using the paint available, which was either RAF Dark Green, or British Army Green. This accounts for the very noticeable contrast seen in most period photos.

Thanks guys, and thanks for the info Terry, it might have saved me a little paint mixing, but I'm already committed to going the OD and darkened OD rout since I already painted the OD last night. Just about to spray the darkened OD after a lot more masking. Pictures later this afternoon

Masking and painting finally done! I'm happy with the way it turned out. It really seems like the old stripes are showing through the new paint. The paint will have to cure for a few days before the coats of Future go on so now I can finish up the YP-59 and RF-84F.

P5189719.JPG
P5189721.JPG

Last edited:
Nicely done Glenn - very effective !
Can't quite see in the photo, but does the masking on the 'Malcolm' hood cover the (vertical) forward and rear edges of the hood? This hood had only the lower frame, for the runners, the 'blown' Perspex having a 'rolled' edge at front and rear, without any frame work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back