**** DONE: 1/48 P-38J - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A long time in com'in there guys but I finally got alittle accomplished over the last few nights :rolleyes: The fact it took a few nights to tape the canopy secure and do a half arse job it looks like to me on this black primer is beside me!But it is progress in a week in doing honey do's while the Wife has her spring break from teaching.One pic only I do plan on using a scuffing pad to attempt to smooth it out otherwise some 800^ is going to be needed.One other thing this Floquil black primer is lacquer and must have a seriously fast drying primer for it was gelling on the forks of the Renegade airbrush and had to swap to and open faced Badger 150 and gelled off the needle some.I kept a Q-tip with thinner and a tissue with thinner to clean every minute or so.

Attachments

• GB38 13 023_edited (800 x 600).jpg
    GB38 13 023_edited (800 x 600).jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 116
It's looking great Kevin! And it must be kinda warm if the lacquer is building on gun tip. If not, you might try dropping the airpressure just a smidge.

Well Aaron the temp was 78' before I turned on the a/c and pressure was 20psi then 15 psi.I will try it even lower when the silver comes out.Thanks for the info.Cheers

Nice bit of progress there Kevin and oh for it to be so hot the airbrush clogs up. We have that problem here come summer when the shed becomes stifling.

Well cooling the room down into the sixties got it to work Aaron very little gelling occurred 1/10 of what happened last night.I sprayed the silver but am only marginally satisfied.I hit everything with 800grit then another coat of primer then a wore out scotch brite to buff and though good togo,not quite yet.The paint appeared alittle grainy in places not real bad but this is polished aluminum so I think I need to polish the paint with the pad after it dries over night then another coat.I must of not pick up the gloss black paint which eventually was to go on before the silver to seal the primer.I had figured wrong that all the sanding and buffing would provide the needed smooth surface but it's still pourous none the less.

No worries Andy I got pretty close ;).I did a Wayno today and brought the plane to work and on the ole lunch break I went over her with that wore out scotch brite to smooth her out.The end result has got me real close to were I want to be now I need to change some color on some of the panels and flaps.Cheers ;)

Attachments

• GB38 13 024_edited (800 x 669).jpg
    GB38 13 024_edited (800 x 669).jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 55
  • GB38 13 026_edited (800 x 676).jpg
    GB38 13 026_edited (800 x 676).jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 59
No worries Andy I got pretty close ;).I did a Wayno today and brought the plane to work and on the ole lunch break I went over her with that wore out scotch brite to smooth her out.The end result has got me real close to were I want to be now I need to change some color on some of the panels and flaps.Cheers ;)

:thumbright: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back