**** DONE: 1/48 P-47D Thunderbolt - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Added the yellow bands today. Quite

922F2498-742D-4911-AD22-DB460E03E636-192-0000001806DF9CBB_zps792190ba.jpg

Just annoyed about the residue left from the Tamiya tape.

Cheers Chris

Looks alright man. If you're worried about the black showing through, cut the decal along the border, trace it onto a piece of tape, cut the tape and apply to the model. The area inside the tape can then be brushed or, preferably, sprayed white. Once the decal is then applied, there will be no black to show through.

Good stuff Chris.
Regarding tape residue, if you run the tape between finger and thumb, before use, this will remove part of the adhesive. This not only prevents adhesive deposits, but also minimizes the risk of lifting the paint when the tape is removed.

I'll give it a bash Andy. Although I did paint the black invasion stripes by brush so may just go over them with a brush again.

Terry - thanks. I'll make sure i do that next time. I did think that the Tamiya tape was low Tac anyway. Just not low enough I guess.
Will I need to prepare the areas where the tape residue is before paint application or will the paint adhere to it?

Cheers Chris

Gently rub off the residue, using a soft cloth, only just damp. With enamels, it can be washed off with a cloth dampened with thinners, but acrylics are too delicate for this.

Thanks all, your comments really mean a lot to me.
I will give it a little wipe later and get a shift on with getting it finished.

Question - as you know I had a reaction in the paint when I painted over Tamiya with Humbrol. Now that I want to clear coat the model what can I use? As most of the solvent from the paint will have evaporated does it even matter what brand clear coat I use?

Cheers Chris

Nope.. the clear coat has to be of the same kind these paints are. If you useed the acrylic ones you have to use the acrylic clear coat over them. If these colours are enamels you can use either the acrylic clear coat or the one for enamels. The same rule is for the final matt clear coat. Just , the acrylic coat over acrylic paints or the acrylic one over enamels. Never an enamel colours , enamel clear coat over acrylic paints or acrylic clear coats.

Clear? :lol:

Lol cheers Wojtec. Problem is that they were both Acrylic colours that I used when they reacted.
I'll give it a go with the Tamiya clear (acrylic) and see what happens. Maybe a test piece is needed.

Cheers Chris

I understood. But it is always better to use the same brand colours and clear coats. But some of testing is always welcome. Just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back