--> **** DONE: 1/48 P-51D - Post-War Warbirds

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
P-51D Dominican Republic 1953

User Name: T Bolt
Name: Glenn
Category: Advanced
Kit: Tamiya P-51D
Scale: 1/48th
Accessories: Decals from Hobbycraft P-51 Sharkmouths Kit

This aircraft has a long history which I will cover in more detail in a later post starting out as the personal mount of the CO of the 55th FG 8th AF to one of Swedish Air Force's P-51's to the Dominican Air Force where it served from 1952 until 1984 when it was withdrawn from service and ended up on a post outside the airbase there where it remains to this day.

1.jpg

Last edited:
P-51D-20-NA 44-72123 Was assigned to the 55th FG, 8th AF and assigned to Maj. Edward Giller and named "The Millie G". After the war it was sold to Sweden and flew with their Air Force as 26092 until it was again sold, this time to the Dominican Republic in 1952. There it served as FAD 1914 until 1984 when it was retired and placed on a pole outside San Isidro Air Base near Santo Domingo. In 2003 it was taken down and restored using markings similar to what it wore in the mid 1950s although these markings are not quite correct, After the restoration it was returned to the pole where it still remains today.

44-72123 was one of seven aircraft Giller named "The Millie G" two to them being P-38's and the remaining five all P-51D's The first of Giller's P-51's 44-14985 was well photographed and a P-51 is today flying in its markings. I built Giller's "Mille G" for the Aces Group Build and while doing research for it I found out about the Dominican 'former' Millie G on the post and decided to make the same aircraft at a different point in time for this group build. Since then I found the above information about the multiple "Millie G's" and although there are still some sources that state that they are the same aircraft, I believe the above info is correct and they are two different aircraft, but still will build it.

Gillers first P-51, 44-14985
2.jpg

These 3 photos show the Dominican P-51's in the scheme I will use. The second Mustang in the first photo is in the blue markings I will use.
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg

44-72123 under restoration
6.jpg

44-72123 as it is today on the pole outside San Isidro Air Base in the not quite correct markings.
7.jpg

Here's the Tamiya Kit, and True Details resin wheels.
8.JPG

9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG

I acquired the Hobby Craft P-51 Sharkmouths kit to use the decals. They have markings for the Black, Yellow and Red squadrons but not the Blue squadron which is the one that I needed so I will only be using a few of these decals and will have to mask and paint the rest
13.jpg

Good one Glenn, and great info.
It would be nice if someone bought the aircraft (maybe replace it with a 'plastic' replica) and restored it as 'Millie G'.

I'm getting ready to start this one and have to decide on cockpit colors. This picture is of the aircraft when it was under restoration a few years back and shows an interior of light gray and an instrument panel a blue gray color. I have no idea when the cockpit was repainted in these colors but I'm leaning to doing the cockpit in these colors instead of the standard P-51 colors. Something a bit different for a change.

millie g during restoration.jpg

Yes, it appears to be beneath the aircraft, possibly the surface of a jig or 'dolly' that the fuselage is lying on. The instrument panel also looks like it may be a replacement, with some 'newer' instruments - it sure will make for a different looking cockpit.
Should be a good one, this !

Made a start on it after work today.
I cleaned up a lot of the smaller pieces and test fitted the major ones. Love how these Tamiya P-51's fit together. Also tried to replicate the plywood floor starting with a base coat of acrylic sand and going over it with enamel burnt sienna applied with a small, very short stiff brush to give it a streaked look.

P5241821.JPG
P5241820.JPG
P5241822.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back