--> **** DONE: 1/48 P-51D - Post-War Warbirds

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff Andy, and yes, black for the anti glare panel. Can't remember the date, but the change was made from OD to black, in the RAF, RAAF, RNZAF and USAF in either the very late 1940S, or around 1950 or '51.
BTW, only the rear wall of the wheel bay, which was the main spar, was in Zinc Chromate, the rest being clear lacquered bare metal. Some restored aircraft show the ZC, and it might have been applied after WW2, as an anti-corrosive measure, but from the factory it was bare metal.

Good stuff Andy, and yes, black for the anti glare panel. Can't remember the date, but the change was made from OD to black, in the RAF, RAAF, RNZAF and USAF in either the very late 1940S, or around 1950 or '51.
BTW, only the rear wall of the wheel bay, which was the main spar, was in Zinc Chromate, the rest being clear lacquered bare metal. Some restored aircraft show the ZC, and it might have been applied after WW2, as an anti-corrosive measure, but from the factory it was bare metal.
If the insides of the gear doors were ZC (see some the pics I posted on the previous page), would the wheel wells still be bare metal? The decal sheet shows the doors as ZC but doesn't mention the bays...

The problem with the wheel bays is that there is no exact date of getting back to protecting of inner surfaces with the YZC. According to Dana Bell ( as memo serves) it might be the end of war or after. The main reason for re-applying of YZC was the corrosion at areas where two different metal alloys were joined that was reported as far back as 1944. To get protection against the corrosion the YZC was applied either on the inner surfaces of the metal skin or on the main structures of the Mustang. However there is known an undated picture of the P-51D or K assembling lines with the wheel bays being of the YZC entirely. Judging by the images you posted on the previous page I would say the whole wheel bays, and inner sides of the bay doors were of the YZC.

I'll say Wayne! I think I'll stay with the ZC for the wheel wells & gear doors. Meanwhile I've attached the wings and tail planes and have started painting some odds and ends.

IMG_3945.JPG
IMG_3942.JPG
IMG_3947.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot guys. I've being plodding away on a few items lately. I've painted the yellow ZC inner gear doors and painted and assembled the prop hub and blades. Wheels and undercarriage legs are also painted. I've assembled and painted the two drop tanks but still need to add some decals on those.

IMG_3948.JPG
IMG_3949.JPG
IMG_3950.JPG
IMG_3951.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back