**** DONE: 1/48 P-61B Black Widow - Pacific Theatre of Operations II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here you are..

4476815879_425111020e_o.jpg

3050514510_e51a01bb5e_o.jpg

21.gif

I just had a look at your decals and yes, they are of the correct color and the correct number. Did you get those from Zotz? Zotz does good work and is where I've gotten decals in the past. By the way, incase anyone else is interested. The owner of Zotz Decals frequents a Large Scale Planes model website and keeps a running thread offering to make whatever decal you need in whatever scale you need... for a price of course.

Great job Mike. :)

Wurger, thanks for the pics, the white on the nose would indicate that this is the "A" version. The "B" version had a longer nose (8in (20.3cm) longer accordind to the directions) is it possible they hinged that?
NFN, thanks for looking and checking. The decals are from "Print Scale". They seem to be good quality and have directions for 6 different versions. Found them on line from Ebay. Otherwise Great Wall's kit of the "Lady" was almost $70 with shipping.

The 'B' and 'C' versions, even though they had the nose extended by 8 inches behind the radar, still retained the same, glass-fibre radome as the 'A' model, which was removable, but not hinged.

Thanks Parsifal, weather has been cold/snow/ice since the begining of the month but... warming up this week to near 70F (21.1C) so progress will slow...got to spend time down at the dock with the boat

Forward ever forward, Left and right boom halves wheel well painted; main landing gear struts installed; main landing gear wheels painted and installed; landing gear doors installed; detailed motor installed in boom; wing fuel tanks painted; wings installed in body

Attachments

• IMG_0859R.jpg
    IMG_0859R.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0860R.jpg
    IMG_0860R.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0861R.jpg
    IMG_0861R.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0862R.jpg
    IMG_0862R.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 72
Easiest and most effective way to hold the weights in place, whether shot, fishing weights, lead strip or old bolts, is to mould 'Plasticine' ( kid's synthetic, 'plastic', modelling clay) around them, in the nose area. This not only ensures the weights are held in place without fuss or mess, but the 'Plasticine' itself also adds weight. It also eliminates any possibility of too much adhesive, resin or other 'sticky stuff' damaging or melting the plastic from the inside.

Terry @ NFN, good ideas. I have lots of shotgun shot #7 laying around and I always keep JB weld. There's a small craft store in town will check on modeling clay next time in town

Kid's toy shop is probably the best place for the 'Plasticine' Mike. Not sure what it's called in the USA, as the name is a Trademark, but I'm sure there'll be the same stuff. It normally comes 'flat packed', in strips, or bars, which are 'ribbed', and each strip is a different, bright colour.

I'm also looking into Tungsten Putty. We discussed this stuff in a thread back when. Made from powdered Tungsten it is moldable so would serve the same purpose as the clay but be much heavier. Tends to be a bit expensive, about $5 US per ounce (28 -30g) but I'll only need it on tricycle models so I may invest just to have it around.

It was discussed on an old thread on weights. Mostly it is sold for Pinewood Derby cars

Attachments

• 71upFwcmcTL__SL1500_.jpg
    71upFwcmcTL__SL1500_.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 82

Users who are viewing this thread

Back