**** DONE: 1/48 P-61B Black Widow - Pacific Theatre of Operations II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice job Mike. Just so you know, there were other differences between the A and B model aside from the extended nose. One of them was the trim tabs were removed from the ailerons of the B models and there was added an access door behind the ray dome. The ADF antenna was on the right nacelle in place of the straight antenna normally there for Lady.

Did a bit of work today, recovering from my weekend trip. This is what tungsten putty looks like. It is workable but needs to be warm to soften. This in one ounce (28g) of putty or about $5.00US. I worked it into the space behind the non-detailed engine. I have lead in the other boom behind the detailed engine and lead in the small space behind the nose bulkhead. It worked until the tail was installed between the booms. So going to have to put weight in the nose so will not put in the radar. Lastly wing tanks installed

Attachments

• IMG_0867R.jpg
    IMG_0867R.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0868R.jpg
    IMG_0868R.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0869R.jpg
    IMG_0869R.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0871R.jpg
    IMG_0871R.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 56
It's a bit of a heart stopper when you're trying to get the nose to stay down. I did a 1/48 resin Blackburn Beverly a few years back, I had about 2lb of brass rod up front and then it was still touch and go.

Looks great Mike. One question. For night missions wouldn't the tanks be black? Maybe it didn't matter since when the plane was about to engage in combat it would most likely have jettisoned the tanks.

Thor, of that I cannot say with any certain knowlege. The directions said, "neutral grey or black". I chose grey to make them more visible on the model.

It's a bit of a heart stopper when you're trying to get the nose to stay down. I did a 1/48 resin Blackburn Beverly a few years back, I had about 2lb of brass rod up front and then it was still touch and go.

I had to use four sizable fishing weights to keep the nose of my old 1/72 scale P-61 down. Two were put into the nose and one flattered with a hammer to each engine cowling just behind engines.

Heck! A 1/48th scale Beverley - the flying barn - that must be a beast of a model! I'd love to see some pics of it Vic, if you still have it.

I had to use four sizable fishing weights to keep the nose of my old 1/72 scale P-61 down. Two were put into the nose and one flattered with a hammer to each engine cowling just behind engines.

I did about the same last year with that P-38 I built. Sometimes you need to puyt a ton of lead in the nose, and space gets to be an issue. My p-38 finished up with lead in nose, under the cockpit and just behind each engine. I did the same or similar as you described. i flatted 3 or 4 fishing sinkers on the anvil using a ball pean hammer, then cut the lead into strips or small sheets and then glued them into the model. It took quite a bit because i had to repair the tail if you recall

Fortunately, Lady's tanks were also grey. Nice job on the plane. I used lead aquarium weights for my widow, putting them in every nook and cranny I could find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back