**** DONE: 1/48 P-61B Black Widow - Pacific Theatre of Operations II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

NFN, guess I made a correct call by sheer accident. I used lead fishing weights (flattened) as well as a big 3oz (85g) weight that I beat flat into a sheet about 1/8in (3-4mm) thick. This I could easily cut/bend/flatten as needed. These went into the left nacelle. The detailed engine took up the remaining space. The right with the non-detailed engine had more room in the nacelle so more lead. The engine was mounted in the cowling which left room. This space was filled with tungsten putty 1oz (28g). I also put a sheet of lead behind the front bulkhead (where radar mounts). I decided to install the radar since it only took a bit of tungsten putty in the very tip of the nose to bring down the front wheel.

Law of Conservation of Momentum - the momentum of the hammer head (mass X velocity) cannot vanish when it strikes the lead (or anything else) the energy is transfered to the lead atoms which increase their velocity and are displaced. The increased velocity of the lead atoms is sensed as a temperature increase.
When you stop your car, the brakes get hot. The car's momentum goes into the brakes whose atoms/molecules must increase their velocity as the car's momentum is transfered into the brakes. The same with all momentum changes

Law of Conservation of Momentum - the momentum of the hammer head (mass X velocity) cannot vanish when it strikes the lead (or anything else) the energy is transfered to the lead atoms which increase their velocity and are displaced. The increased velocity of the lead atoms is sensed as a temperature increase.
When you stop your car, the brakes get hot. The car's momentum goes into the brakes whose atoms/molecules must increase their velocity as the car's momentum is transfered into the brakes. The same with all momentum changes

I figured it was something like that Mike, but couldn't find the words.

b0707.gif

Vic, the old head still works pretty good...the rest....not so good.
As to the "Widow" fiddled with the front canopy and will be doing some decal work but it's getting close to done

Attachments

• IMG_0874R.jpg
    IMG_0874R.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
NFN, yup, was a question on another build about tail-hooks. So I pulled my two and took pics of what I did with the hooks (followed directions). The black one is a Marine Corsair from Korea circa 1952 and the blue/white is a Black Sheep Corsair

Looking nice, Mike. Man, this one brings back memories. That was one of the last kits I built before I entered the US Air Force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back