--> **** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk 22/24 - Post-War Warbirds

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Karl! It's a very nice kit and I'm sure you'll enjoy building it too!

Here is the port wing before further adjustments were made.
IMG_1746_zpsgmoezqlu.jpg

Masking and painting...
IMG_1747_zpsfnsozde4.jpg

After adjustments...
IMG_1748_zpsvgtg97el.jpg

After that correction, the model was given a pin wash of dark brown.
IMG_1754_zpsl4oedjju.jpg

IMG_1755_zpsrmbtfxom.jpg

IMG_1756_zps3zyo5bvb.jpg

IMG_1757_zpsqi9bmmnh.jpg

A flat coat to seal the pin wash. At this point, the canopy and side door were popped off and the edges cleaned. The rear deck was painted to match the green of the camo.
IMG_1758_zpsu9eaboiv.jpg

IMG_1759_zpstsvblacc.jpg

IMG_1760_zpsup0nisry.jpg

The exhaust stain was lightly done in darkening shades of brown.
IMG_1761_zpsdpct7lvr.jpg

IMG_1762_zps3xye01cd.jpg

Some light chipping was done with a silver pencil and the painted exhaust pipes were glued into place.
IMG_1763_zpsf1csfoam.jpg

IMG_1764_zpsslthc7fu.jpg

The MicroMask was peeled of the transparent wing lights.
IMG_1765_zpsqsqgrd7i.jpg

The masks from the fuselage ID lights were removed. I have to find a better way to paint these lights. Next time I will experiment with clear colors over silver.
IMG_1766_zpspvrghpzn.jpg

The fit of the landing gear is funky on this kit. The locating peg on the gear leg is too short to provide solid contact. And the directions show the oleo scissors pointing forward, which is wrong. So I ended up shaving the base of the gear leg a bit to get better contact and then gluing the legs in without the wheels. I'll let this cure before I add the wheels, doors and oleo scissors, which got knocked off trying to get the gear legs into place. The flaps have been glued into the open position.
IMG_1768_zps59gmweqi.jpg

Here's the vacuform canopy after painting. The white frosting that you can just make out near the front frame are stress marks from the canopy bending. These thin canopies can easily be marred this way. Next time I'll have to be more careful.
IMG_1769_zpsmb7yvsef.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back