--> **** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk 22/24 - Post-War Warbirds

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff John.
Just a couple of points to check though - I'm not sure which under wing antenna that is without seeing its location point, but I have a feeling it's the I.F.F. aerial, which was a rod antenna, not a whip aerial.
Also, the decking under the canopy was normally painted in the camouflage colour. When cockpits changed to black, those Mk22/24 still in service, sometimes had the decking painted matt black, but it would be camouflage for your subject.

Thanks guys! It's been a while since I've updated but I have been working on the Spit here and there this past week. Terry... thank you for your observations about the rear deck color and the underwing antenna. I'll be correcting those as I go.

The chin scoop has been glued in and milliput is used to fill in the gaps.
IMG_1650_zpsm3v77kel.jpg

The kit canopy and side door are glued in place using white glue. These are just temporary masks and will be replaced with the vac canopy and resin side door after painting. I did this prior to receiving Terry's comment about the rear deck color so it's still interior green. After the temp canopy is removed, I'll change the color of the rear deck to the camo green.
IMG_1651_zpszrfzihin.jpg

The poseable flaps are temporary taped into place. Like the canopy and side door, this is just temporary and will be positioned open after painting.
IMG_1652_zps7cdkbej8.jpg

The cannon barrels have been glued into place. Putting and smoothing out the seams here took a few days.
IMG_1653_zps4u3zfd8c.jpg

The stretched sprue previously used for the underwing antenna is replaced with a piece of brass tube.
IMG_1656_zpscjzrgv4l.jpg

Time for paint. After a final round of cleanup, the entire aircraft is preshaded, top and bottom.
IMG_1657_zpsvijdpscy.jpg

IMG_1658_zps2eet92ra.jpg

After preshading, the bottom is sprayed with Tamiya Medium Sea Grey.
IMG_1659_zpskgs6fkm6.jpg

IMG_1660_zps96gkxk7t.jpg

I'm planning on hard-masking the camo from this point on so I'll give this coat a good day or two to cure before I mask off the bottom.

Last edited:
Looking good John. Try not to over do any weathering or 'patchy' paintwork - these aircraft were operated by an Auxiliary Squadron (Reserves), and were maintained in near pristine condition.

I don't have many photographic resources but the ones I was able to dig up on the internet show some noticeable wear on these aircraft.

tn_Spit-24-16_zpsrjhlmkm2.jpg

23_zpsf8etacy7.jpg

p114_zpsi6io5lzu.jpg

7oeN8eL_zpsp64nslcl.png

GobhFSE%202_zpspea1oqpl.jpg

AF2eMK1%202_zpsurlzue2d.jpg

Ah ! If you're doing a Mk24 of 80 Sqn, when based in Hong Kong, then yes, they were quite worn on that deployment, although looking new when they first arrived.This was the only Sqn to operate the Mk.24
My apologies, I thought you were doing a Mk22 as per the decals in the kit.

Thanks peeps! Forging ahead with the painting on the 24. The bottom paint has dried enough so I've masked it off to prepare for the top colors. I'm going to be using hard masks on the camo so the entire upper surface is painted with Tamiya XF-82 Ocean Grey.
IMG_1662_zpselhgo1ru.jpg

IMG_1663_zps9rcmytz7.jpg

IMG_1664_zpskarrs5sl.jpg

I bought a roll of wider 40mm Tamiya tape. It's not the same material as the 6mm and 10mm rolls that I've been using... a bit thinner and stiffer... and it's labeled as "Kamoi Tape" on the inner roll. I used pieces of this tape, with curves cut with an x-acto knife, to mask the camo pattern.
IMG_1666_zpsenhfnkr3.jpg

IMG_1667_zps7ef0xpam.jpg

The unmasked portions are pre-shaded again. Kind of a pain but I thought it was necessary to give the finish consistency.
IMG_1668_zpskyqq3aat.jpg

The green was mixture of Tamiya XF-67 Nato Green and a Gunze Sangyo Dark Green (which was more like a dark olive green).
IMG_1669_zpslozkyycm.jpg

IMG_1670_zpsgpkcfwjb.jpg

IMG_1671_zpsfwqcxc9m.jpg

There are some little spots to touch up but overall, I thought the masking worked well. I'm going to do the touch ups and then I'll probably shoot this with a light gloss coat to protect the thin paint, which has tendency to wear off at contact points. I've got some stripes to do before the decals go on.

Very nice. Tamiya makes an RAF Dark Green that you could have used but the blend you came up with looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back