--> **** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk 22/24 - Post-War Warbirds (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks everyone!
Very nice. Tamiya makes an RAF Dark Green that you could have used but the blend you came up with looks good.
That was my intention but my local shop only had the Medium Sea Grey and Ocean Grey, not the RAF Dark Green.

The camo has been touched up in places and then a thin gloss coat is sprayed to protect the camo.
IMG_1672_zpsmffkbmmv.jpg

IMG_1673_zpssvt5iaqm.jpg

Cannon barrel tips are masked, given a black base coat and then painted Alclad Dark Aluminum.
IMG_1675_zpsy9zdcqjz.jpg

The black walkway stripes on top of the wings are masked and painted.
IMG_1676_zps7eqhmlv9.jpg

The black white stripes on the wings and fuselage are masked off and painted.
IMG_1679_zpsbl2patpw.jpg

IMG_1680_zpsxghc31v0.jpg

Here's what the stripes look like immediately after the masks are removed. From this distance, you can't see the minor oversprays and paint creeps but those will be fixed.
IMG_1681_zpsdeceeihk.jpg

IMG_1682_zpskdogk9xq.jpg

Decals next? Wait... I still need to do the yellow on the leading edge of the wings!
IMG_1683_zpsbjkhatqx.jpg

Thanks Terry! A little time away from the workshop as I am going FISHING all day tomorrow! Will be back on the Spitfire in a few days.

Ok, back to work on the Mk 24. The yellow ID bands on the leading edge of the wings are added at this point. I've been putting the yellow over a base coat of white.
IMG_1720_zpstj6nopho.jpg

I had neglected some details on the prop so I had to go back and add the yellow tips, manufacturer decals on the blade faces and little stencils at the base of the spinner.
IMG_1722_zpsi53jai9s.jpg

The model was given another light coat of Alclad Aqua Gloss in preparation of decals. The Eduard decals are very good and reacted well to Microset/Microsol. For good measure, I cut the panel lines with an x-acto blade and used Solvaset as a final setting agent.
IMG_1742_zpsrdmtnxn1.jpg

IMG_1743_zps3bezweak.jpg

IMG_1744_zpszgmrghgq.jpg

The underwing codes were meant to go underneath the black and white stripes. So I had to measure and cut the code decals to replicate this.
IMG_1745_zpsx8bndbzh.jpg

I will seal the decals with another coat of gloss and then do a bit of weathering.

No, you aren't imagining things. That last white stripe closest to fuselage on the port wing was noticeably wider than the other stripes. I re-masked to make the black stripe a little bit wider which cut down the white a bit but that white is still a tad wide. I don't want to adjust it from the other side because that will move it off the center of the cannon blister. Based on photos I've seen, these stripes weren't the most exact so I decided to leave it as is.

Like I said, the wide white stripe was adjusted once but now that Andy mentioned it, I couldn't NOT notice it anymore. So I man'd up and adjusted it again. This time I scooted the black band over so that required an additional mask. I'll throw up some pictures with an update later when I get home from work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back