--> **** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk 22/24 - Post-War Warbirds

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys! The Mk 24 has my full attention now that the Dora is finished. Here is some work that I've done in the past few days.

I've added the brake lines to the landing gear covers.
IMG_1614_zpskk4uaehm.jpg

Here are the landing gear components after paint and a pastel wash. I've added rivets to the inner gear doors. The oleo scissors and the tail wheel door inserts are photoetch. The photos really wash out the details!
IMG_1625_zpsrmhznuvs.jpg

Can't forget the little tail wheel...
IMG_1626_zpseeotnqnc.jpg

The radiator boxes have been added to the bottom of the wings. There are some small gaps that will need to be filled using White Milliput.
IMG_1619_zpsuhu2bkcv.jpg

The next few steps detail the painting of the spinner. The prop and spinner, being prominently featured at the front of an aircraft, gets a lot of scrutiny so I like to spend some extra time here. I've preshaded the front portion of the spinner first.
IMG_1620_zpsfrmkjndw.jpg

The front of the spinner will be blue but I like to establish a white base for primary colors. The white coat is left a little on the light side to hopefully allow the preshading to be visible under the blue.
IMG_1621_zpsqtnxozgx.jpg

The blue is applied to the front of the spinner without a mask.
IMG_1622_zpsxwqicefp.jpg

It's much easier to mask a conical spinner from the top so the blue is masked off in preparation for the white base. Some preshading is applied.
IMG_1623_zpszhcb0zia.jpg

After the base coats have been finished, the spinner is sealed with a gloss coat to accept a pastel wash. I've added some rivets as well as a small circular depression at the tip of the spinner which the pastel wash will highlight.
IMG_1624_zpskdhds34a.jpg

After the wash, the spinner is given a flat coat. The camera doesn't do a great job at capturing some of the subtle effects of preshading but it's there!
IMG_1630_zpsdwf1y9ht.jpg

Nice. My pastel washes never turn out as nice as yours. It is very dry where I live and I suspect that the wash dries too quickly. I always get a dark rim at the outer edge of the wash in addition to the main area where I want it to show up.

Thanks guys! Andy... I used to get that outer edge stain when I applied my wash straight onto flat paint. So now I go to the extra step of putting on a gloss coat before the wash, which has eliminated the problem for me.

Thanks fellas! Here's what the prop looks like with the blades attached. I've found a nice way to add some subtle weathering streaks... by wiping the marks from a colored pencil.
IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1632_zpsumlbm7t1.jpg

IMG_1633_zpsnq0f1myb.jpg

The wings have been glued onto the fuselage. The gap at the root closed up nicely as expected. Sometimes it's easier to fill a joint completely than to clean up a glue seam that falls on a panel line. I've got a little more work to tidy up the joins before moving on.
IMG_1636_zps8ljgfd0u.jpg

IMG_1637_zpsdraoo4ne.jpg

Matching up the wing root joints left the worst joint at the fuselage bottom but that's been smoothed out and re-scribed. All of the little tab actuators on the tail have been knocked off so I'll have to redo those at a later stage.
IMG_1638_zpsndvjqifs.jpg

Nice work John. I use that 'smudged pencil lines' technique for adding airflow marks on control surface hinge lines, and some underside panel joints - works a treat.

Thanks guys! I'm slowly working towards the painting stage. The chin cowling was attached to the lower fuselage. Like the rest of this kit, the fit is really good. The starboard side is just about perfect. The port side needed just a bit of attention.
IMG_1639_zpsffmd8tjw.jpg

IMG_1640_zpsmqfljddg.jpg

The resin parts include a cockpit door. Since this picture was taken, I've pinged the crowbar into the abyss so I'll have to fashion another one.
IMG_1642_zpsnednb27q.jpg

A few minor details... the underwing antenna was lopped off its base and replaced with a thinner strand of stretched sprue. The tip of the pitot tube was opened using a sharp xacto.
IMG_1643_zpsfsinvrhp.jpg

The kit exhausts have been painted and set aside.
IMG_1644_zpsn4ynu5v1.jpg

The big gun sight is dropped onto its mounting tray.
IMG_1646_zpsschwee4z.jpg

The spare cockpit door is going to be used to help mask off the cockpit.
IMG_1647_zps2ol9rgb1.jpg

The frames of the vacuformed canopy have been painted in interior green. The windscreen is attached to the fuselage using white glue.
IMG_1648_zpsi1zyriiz.jpg

There are some resin and PE bits and pieces that need to be added to the rear cockpit deck. This area is then painted interior green.
IMG_1649_zpsd4huzhjm.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back