**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk IX – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The decals meant for the sides were a bit large, fortunately, Bruce sent the underwing roundels also. I used his over the earlier type yellow rings I had and, Presto!, side markings!
Makes them a touch thick, but I have laid the micro-sol to them pretty heavy. I used Bruce's as the red matches better than the ones I have. I will use those (darker red) on the bottoms.

spit-34.jpg

After much research and good old-fashioned drinking, I have come to some decisions. LZ895 was in 1435 squadron during their support of the Sicily campaign and into Italy. Based on her squadron mates, (of which there are only three photos found), I feel that a red spinner is in order as the theatre camo was applied at the maintainance unit at Casablanca, and the squadron artist applied the "unofficial" dragons head and probably the RAF crest over the fin flash. I am still working on those. I decided to give the letter "c" as I have not seen a Picture of either "c" or LZ895, so...
Artistic licence, I guess. On the same note I will have one "kill" marking on her. In accordance with the support role 1435 played, and one photo I found, (and it because it looks cool), I will be using the one 60lb. rocket rail per side.
The fin flash isn't correct yet, needs tweeking.

spit-35.jpg

Yep, I'm rolling along,...
Some dragons for your consideration gentlemen, painted on an old theatre band from that same Monogram P-40 kit that the upperwing roundels came from.
The pictures are fairly indestinct about the "dragon" on the side, so I would like some input. From left to right, one, two, and so forth. Which dragon is the best match, or should I try again? I will, of course, trim close before applying.

spit-36.jpg

Terry and Wojectk, (sorry, my friend, I couldn't remember how to spell,), pointed out the "dragon head" unofficial emblem of 1435 squadron, in the photos starting on page 2 of this post. Sorry all, I meant to reference that.
It is very hard to see, that's why I would like the input.

Last edited:
Just caught up on the last 3 or 4 pages and you've been doing a great job Paul. and my vote is also for the second dragon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back